English & Maths paper 2014

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Optymum

English & Maths paper 2014

Post by Optymum »

I was just wondering if anyone knows if there will be a gap between the English & maths sections of the paper when the children must stop. I think it seems that this will be the case with the reasoning paper, but I am unsure regarding the English & maths. Does anyone have any further information?
mystery

Re: English & Maths paper 2014

Post by mystery »

I think that document on the website is all that there is. Certainly it is clear that the time does not flow on from one section to the other - so if one was fast in the English one could not spend more time on the maths. Is that what you mean?
Optymum

Post by Optymum »

Yes, that is what I meant, although I was more concerned that my DS would spend too long on the English and suddenly find he had less time for the maths! But I cannot see where it says there will be a gap in the English/ maths paper in the familiarisation document. I think it is a bit vague on that point! I am hoping there is a defined stop point, but I suppose time will tell!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ah, I think that on the website page called test paper, which contains a link to the familiarisation document, it says that each section in the English and maths paper is 25 minutes long and preceded by a 5 minute practice session.

I struggle to imagine the practice sessions.

You are right that it does not make it clear if the child could work ahead on the maths in the English section, or go back to the English from the maths section. I suspect not.

In the past, were children allowed to go back to a previous section in the nvr? I know they were not allowed to move forward to a new section but could a child have gone backwards if they had finished an nvr section early?
Optymum

Post by Optymum »

Ah yes, having gone back to the KCC site, I see the comment about 5 minutes practice followed by the 25 min test. Thank you for that. I thought I was relatively calm about this......maybe not!!!!! Roll on next Wednesday evening when my DS is looking forward to shredding all his practice papers that he has done!!!
:D
doodles

Post by doodles »

Wishing you all the best of luck for a calm weekend.

Good luck to all your DC.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now