Stop watches on test day

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

littlejohn

Stop watches on test day

Post by littlejohn »

Hi everyone,
Just received our letter from HSFG this morning. It clearly states that NO stop watches/digital watches are permitted ("as the test will be administered under examination conditions"). Not sure if this is the same elsewhere.
Sunshine 11

Re: Stop watches on test day

Post by Sunshine 11 »

No letter from SHS but makes sense. Each section is timed and they will stop and start them between sections so it would only serve to add confusion. Good luck !
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
Cup of tea

Post by Cup of tea »

Eldest took in a digital clock which was allowed a couple of years ago. We had disabled any noise function and she used it as a countdown. youngest has been using a digital watch too, guess she'll have to cope without it. :?
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

littlejohn wrote:Hi everyone,
Just received our letter from HSFG this morning. It clearly states that NO stop watches/digital watches are permitted ("as the test will be administered under examination conditions"). Not sure if this is the same elsewhere.
Really not sure what the problem is. STR they are allowed; only calculator watches aren't allowed. All the say is that they mustn't beep.
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

Do you think it's perhaps because each section is timed and a child may disagree with their timings ? Some children are pretty outspoken. I don't see why they would need a stopwatch as each section is timed for them ? It's just a distraction and it takes time to set and re-set them. Better just to crack on with the paper.

It takes time to check each device and lots of devices can have hidden functionality. I think to keep it fair there should be no devices at all.
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

Dd has said she doesn't want to take a watch as it will distract her as she will want to check on the time instead of answering questions she would prefer to wait for the timings to be called. She has practised with a stop clock and a watch and this is her decision, think it has to be whatever they are used to and also won't be a distraction.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Sunshine 11 wrote:Do you think it's perhaps because each section is timed and a child may disagree with their timings ? Some children are pretty outspoken. I don't see why they would need a stopwatch as each section is timed for them ? It's just a distraction and it takes time to set and re-set them. Better just to crack on with the paper.

It takes time to check each device and lots of devices can have hidden functionality. I think to keep it fair there should be no devices at all.
Made me smile. My ds would be the child that would argue - he'd argue with himself if he could, so yes, removing that scenario would be a good idea!