Daughter passed but feeling subdued

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

cosmofox

Daughter passed but feeling subdued

Post by cosmofox »

My daughter got through with 130, she burst into tears with relief when I explained what her mark meant.

One of her friends phoned her about an hour after we got in from school to see how she had done and advised her of the results of 6 of her school friends. My daughter then sat in her room saying she was feeling very sad for her friends that didn't qualify and didn't want to celebrate.

I realise this is even harder for the kids than I ever thought as now those that qualified feel the pain of their close friends who didn't get through and those that didn't have to deal with disappointment and pain in hearing some of their friends did get through and will be going to the schools they wanted to to go to aswell. Whilst I am delighted and extremely proud of my daughter I'm feeling sad and guilty at what she and her friends have gone through. Am I the only one feeling this way?
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

I imagine many are feeling the same because we all love 'em and we naturally want to wrap them in cotton wool and shield them from pain.

But life just isn't like that and so yesterday we did them a favour by initiating them into life's rich and sometimes frustrating pattern.

That in itself is worth a minor celebration (and no mine didn't pass yesterday).
dinoo

141 but a Sad occasion

Post by dinoo »

Cosmofox I had a similar incident at home Last Night. When I picked up my Son from School. We got home Opened his Results and he surpised us with 141. We decided to enjoy this moment and booked a Table at a Restaurant for my Family for Dinner. Few Hours Later there were phone Calls from my Sons Friends saying they did not make it and lost with Few Marks.
My Son could not believe that his 2 friends did not make it just missed out by 4 and 6 Marks. He had a small coversation with me asking can I share my marks with my 2 Friends as I have got more than enough to get through. I was in tears and was proud of my Little boy who thinks and is concern about his Friends, I had to tell him Wish they could do this I would have been one of the proudest one on this Planet.
Its really Sad but the Fact is one of the member on this Forum wrote "THE CREAM ALWAYS RISES ON TOP". Finally we had to cancel the Dinner Last Night. As he was not ready for it and said Why can't we have a regular Dinner at home instead as the Wheather does not seems to be Good, We did not force him much. It was a Happy and a Sad moment for us.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Dinoo

I am such a big softie, and you have just made me cry! What a lovely thing to say, 'can I share my marks...'

Dear DAD40

Are you going for an appeal, if you and ths school think your child is gramar 'material' then you should perhaps try...

Patricia
nisahnt

thanks

Post by nisahnt »

hi patricia,
just to let you know our son has scored 141 & 141 (in both test). we got his result yesterday in post (OCC) and we all were so shocked and delighted by this news. we want to say big thank you to you and everybody here for all the support and advice. it was not possible without you guys. Patricia on your advice we did DIY and achieved 100% so i would like to say to the parents who are preparing their kids for next years exams that if we can do it ourselves then anybody can do it. the only thing is keep your calm and have a routine. thanks once again to everybody.nishant
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

Dear DAD40

Are you going for an appeal, if you and ths school think your child is gramar 'material' then you should perhaps try...
No we're not appealing and no we don't think she is (yet?) grammar material. Just far too inconsistent. We'd actually decided not to appeal several weeks ago, regardless of whether her score was 95 or 120. If she passed she passed, if she didn't she didn't.

She didn't.

Cheers
Sally-Anne

Re: thanks

Post by Sally-Anne »

nisahnt wrote:hi patricia,
just to let you know our son has scored 141 & 141 (in both test). we got his result yesterday in post (OCC) and we all were so shocked and delighted by this news. we want to say big thank you to you and everybody here for all the support and advice. it was not possible without you guys. Patricia on your advice we did DIY and achieved 100% so i would like to say to the parents who are preparing their kids for next years exams that if we can do it ourselves then anybody can do it. the only thing is keep your calm and have a routine. thanks once again to everybody.nishant
WOW! Very well done to both you and your son.

Sally-Anne
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Nisahnt

Well done! Very pleased for you and your family.

Patricia
cosmofox

Post by cosmofox »

Dinoo I'm sorry you guys had the same experience as us, I'm feeling much better about it all today and I hope you guys are too.

We've decided to leave it a few days and celebrate either tomorrow night or Monday, and my daughter has decided celebrating by way of the cinema would be better than dinner!! She has her cheeky spirit back!

Dad40, you're absolutely right, I suppose this is just the beginning!