Not joining clubs at club-heavy GS

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Yamin151

Not joining clubs at club-heavy GS

Post by Yamin151 »

I have often quoted someone on here who said one of her sons "regarded his free time as his own and rarely joined clubs" - unfortunately I cannot remember who I am quoting! Obviously we are very early on in the year (and mine in Y7!), but the pressure (real, or imagined, quite happy to admit that) to join clubs is making me feel for my son. He may or may not join up (suspect one or two but he loves his own time at home, which is no problem for me), so if he doesn't, surely he isn't alone? If he is happy, making friends, keeping up with the work, but doesn't want to join the myriad of clubs, will it matter? Will he be left trailing at university time by a plethora of "chairmen of the debating society" or "Lonsdale Belt School Champions" or "Chorister with the Most Grade 8 musical instruments as a sideline"???
I sound like I am panicking, I'm not, really, this is said with a smile, and I know the answer logically - guess it would just be nice to hear that others have children who don't 'do' clubs, as opposed to those who sign up for everything!! And to know that future life success is not dependent on the 'optional' stuff as much as just making a blooming good effort with your obligatory schoolwork!
doodles

Re: Not joining clubs at club-heavy GS

Post by doodles »

Apart from rugby and the associated training sessions neither of mine have been "club" boys Yamin and they seem to be doing just fine. At first it did bother me that they weren't making the most of everything that's on offer (I would have loved to have done some of the things on offer when I was at school) but they are very happy just being.....

I think it's a bit like university where you spend the first year making friends and the second trying to get rid of the vast majority of them :?
Last edited by doodles on Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

doodles wrote:Apart from rugby and the associated training sessions neither of mine have been "club" boys Yamin and they seem to be doing just fine. At first it did bother me that they weren't making the most of everything that's on offer (I would have loved to have done some of the things on offer when I was at school) but they are very happy just being.....

I think it's a bit like university where you spend the first year making friends and the second trying to get rid of the vast majority of them :?

:lol: :lol: Yes, I know what you mean. And I am going through the same that you did, I feel a bit "aaahhh, shouldn't you 'join in'?" but I of course don't want to force him, and when the homework really kicks in I have to say the thought of him having time most nights to do it straight after school, at a table and not either in the car or catching up at the weekend would be no bad thing. Thank you, thats reassuring. And I forget, yes, they both do rugby.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Yr 11 DS has just woken up to the personal state thingy and started doing a bit more but again it's all rugby based - he's been helping coach the younger years and wants to do the young official course. But because he wants to do it he's willing to put the effort in and it doesn't seem a chore.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Yamin151 wrote:Will he be left trailing at university time by a plethora of "chairmen of the debating society" or "Lonsdale Belt School Champions" or "Chorister with the Most Grade 8 musical instruments as a sideline"???

Actually, despite what Unis say about needing lots of extra curric activities for the personal statement, I have yet to hear a Uni say that they are interested in them... They are interested in the academics and the reason for doing the subject - they say extra currics should perhaps just be a "line or two"
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

doodles wrote:Yr 11 DS has just woken up to the personal state thingy and started doing a bit more but again it's all rugby based - he's been helping coach the younger years and wants to do the young official course. But because he wants to do it he's willing to put the effort in and it doesn't seem a chore.
And of course he is that much older, and hopefully that much better at realising what he can and can't fit in........
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

hermanmunster wrote:
Yamin151 wrote:Will he be left trailing at university time by a plethora of "chairmen of the debating society" or "Lonsdale Belt School Champions" or "Chorister with the Most Grade 8 musical instruments as a sideline"???

Actually, despite what Unis say about needing lots of extra curric activities for the personal statement, I have yet to hear a Uni say that they are interested in them... They are interested in the academics and the reason for doing the subject - they say extra currics should perhaps just be a "line or two"
Oh, thats good to know herman! Thank you! Talk about over thinking it of course, for a year 7! But this is more about me handling my feelings than any plan for the boy concerned. Thanks!
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Yamin151 wrote:Obviously we are very early on in the year (and mine in Y7!), but the pressure (real, or imagined, quite happy to admit that) to join clubs is making me feel for my son.
Blimey, not pressure felt here - am convinced my DS sleeps through school ...

JD
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

JamesDean wrote:
Yamin151 wrote:Obviously we are very early on in the year (and mine in Y7!), but the pressure (real, or imagined, quite happy to admit that) to join clubs is making me feel for my son.
Blimey, not pressure felt here - am convinced my DS sleeps through school ...

JD
Awwwww, well actually I think mine does too, in that he isn't worried about this, its me! Trying desperately to stop my parent helicoptor taking off! Old habits die hard, I WILL NOT DO IT :oops: :oops: :oops: :cry: :roll:
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

A friend of mine has two girls, neither of whom were 'clubby' at the beginning of secondary school. Both picked things up a bit later (around Year 9 or 10) I think. It certainly didn't seem detrimental to either of them.

In our house it's the opposite problem... A desperate attempt to persuade DD that there really aren't 26 hours in each day...!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now