Truth or Wicked Rumour

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
BlueBerry22

Truth or Wicked Rumour

Post by BlueBerry22 »

JHGS currently has 25 vacant spaces in the newly admitted Y7 ?

When we went to appeal in July they had 18 spaces & I think passed 5 on appeal so in theory leaving 13 spaces but through late withdrawals etc I have heard they now have 25 empty seats - so almost a whole class.

Great for anyone contemplating 12+
bucksdad8623

Re: Truth or Wicked Rumour

Post by bucksdad8623 »

Hi BlueBerry22 ,
How did you find out that information? I’ve been asking Bucks CC and JHGS directly for weeks and they won’t tell me.

JHGS claimed not to know the exact number of unfilled places but said some where unfilled, Bucks CC on the other hand don’t seem to understand what it is I’m asking for.
Bucks CC produce a spreadsheet showing intake numbers for all secondary schools, the link showing the numbers for last year is:

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/media/1411490 ... s-2013.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is dated the middle of August 2013 so in theory the data for 2014 should now be available.
The whole appeals process is an experience I’m doing my hardest to forget. My recollection was there were 23 places available of which 5 were filled leaving 18 unfilled at the beginning of July.

I think JHGS is not alone in having unfilled places, I spoke to a very helpful lady at Chesham Grammar in July who told me they had 15 unfilled places.

The annoying thing is both JHGS and Chesham (who have places) stipulate 3 level 5s for late entry whilst RGS who are full have no such requirement.
I might have to go through an appeal process again just to convince them my DS is a suitable candidate for testing.

This may all be purely academic as so far my DS has settled in well to his new school and is happy, if this continues I’ll probably leave him be.
BlueBerry22

Post by BlueBerry22 »

That's why I have called it truth or rumour - parents with children at JHGS are telling me their children are in a class of 25 and that the parallel classes also only have 25 children (to their knowledge) but it is not "official"

I thought there were 18 spaces and 23 appeallants - they said they would go over PAN to accomodate us all if deemed suitable by the panel - oh how hopeful we all were!!!
bucksdad8623

Post by bucksdad8623 »

I’ve just dug out the paperwork for JHGS, the memories are flooding back..
We all received an update of the school’s case just before stage 1, they had 21 places which had increased to 23 by the time of the hearing.
There were 27 appellants, at that point I was thinking bus timetables, going to school with his friends, which sports he would be playing.
How naïve was I.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Bucksdad, not naive, just lovely and optimistic, unlike me, who had written off any notion of gs education for son number two after the horrible rgs experience, even when the panel were so comparably friendly.

Stay optimistic...it suits you, no suits of armour please. :D