practice test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
southbucks3

practice test

Post by southbucks3 »

Same one as last year, so several kids will have already done it. :wink:

Son number three got in a pickle with the hippo comprehension, he said he really struggled to find one of the answers.....I suspect inference!

I was surprised how happily he talked about it, I didn't ask him! Says he wants to practice his fractions again. :twisted: lordy help me, why those? Ok tolerance hat secured on head, deep breath, sarcasm sector of brain shutting down, I'm heading for the kitchen table. :lol:

Good luck all!
Guest55

Re: practice test

Post by Guest55 »

Really? Maybe this was predictable?

They knew the paper had been leaked by a private school who I hope have lost their 'partner' status.
sutu123

Post by sutu123 »

Hi southbucks3 ,

We are new to this, because we come from harrow, do you know will it be similar format for Thursday exam.
Does any body know, it will quite useful to know.
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

ds2 came out the exam relatively happy, my ears pricked up about the hippo comprehension because thats what they used last year, ds1 can't remember if it was for the practice or real one. Its very hard to get info out.
bucksmummy

Post by bucksmummy »

My daughter said there was one tricky word that she thought began with an "e"!! That she didn't know the synonym/antonym but that was it!!- any other pupils care to fill me in on the missing tricky e word would be great!!! Lol
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Sutu, the whole point of test is that it is a mock for the real thing. The format will be the same but the questions will be different. DG
nadinne_le_moianeau

Post by nadinne_le_moianeau »

"The format will be the same but the questions will be different"

Yes, but I would presume that the level of difficulty would be the same or similar more or less.
My son came out with a stone face - neither unhappy, nor happy, he was pretty cool about the whole thing (as opposed to me ( at this stage I am nervous wreck).
On my question: "How was it?" "Was it difficult?" He only replied: "It was all right". ...And no matter how many hundred questions I have asked him (and I can be really annoyingly insistent), he wouldn't give out much.

He only filled me with the title of the reading comprehension and that it was fiction text, that there was a maths question about triangles and angles; that there was the word "innocuous" and the word "preposterous", and that he was running out of time for one maths question and he ticked a completely random answer (as these were my instructions). Cloze according to him was easy - whatever that means, and that NVR were only sequences.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

There may also be whole question areas that did not feature in the practice that may be in the real test eg. shuffled sentences.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

As SB3 said the aim of the practice test is to familiarise them with the type of instruction given eg the turn page symbol and the answer sheet. It may or may not no luxe similar types of question so don't pay too much attention to that. I would regard it more as a familiarisation then a mock. My ds took it last year (and qualified) and his class all found the practice a great confidence boost but said the actual paper was considerably harder (and obviously over twice as long).

Good luck to all on Thursday.
jabba7

Post by jabba7 »

My DC mentioned that the CD told them to leave out questions they don't know the answer to and come back to them if time! I can't believe they are giving 10 year olds this instruction, it makes no sense to me :(