Does St Bernard's Girls School in Southend...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Manana

Does St Bernard's Girls School in Southend...

Post by Manana »

take girls that have taken the 11+ and just miss out on a grammar place? Or do they take Catholic/those practising another religion only?

The CSSE say you need to fill out a SIF if you apply there-presumably with a letter from your local priest etc, but is there an option to go there with a 'near miss'?
ToadMum

Re: Does St Bernard's Girls School in Southend...

Post by ToadMum »

My understanding is that if you don't 'meet the academic standard' you then get considered under whatever category you would fall into anyway - 'practising but from another parish' / 'Eastern Orthodox Looked After or Formerly Looked After' or whatever, or in our case, category round-about-number-97 - 'other applicants'. Academic in DD's case as wanting to go there would have been as likely as flying to the moon.

DS2 has a friend who may or may not have started at the school last week, but she is the girl who may or may not have passed the 11+ / hadn't passed but WHSG would let her in because she only lives across the road / had passed but was going to go to Chase so that she could stay with her friends etc, so very difficult to read anything at all from that. Given that she also wasn't allowed to come out in a group with him, accompanied by his parents for a birthday tea last year because he was a boy, if she has gone to St.B's it will be in a category a bit higher up than 'other applicants'. All the other girls I know who go there are actually RC or church-going of various other denominations.

It is Cecil Jones which has the 'near misses at the discretion of the Head', category.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
moved

Post by moved »

We are not Catholic / religious and I didn't fill out a SIF but when we got our results slip six years ago it stated that DD had been 'offered' one of their academic places and one of their ordinary places. She had 6 out of 5 offers as St Bernard's had two separate criteria.

DD went to CCHS so I don't know any more.
Manana

Post by Manana »

moved wrote:We are not Catholic / religious and I didn't fill out a SIF but when we got our results slip six years ago it stated that DD had been 'offered' one of their academic places and one of their ordinary places. She had 6 out of 5 offers as St Bernard's had two separate criteria.

DD went to CCHS so I don't know any more.
Thank you both. I must have misunderstood then. I knew you could get a selective place if you passed the 11+ but thought they might accept scores in the last 290s. Thank you for clearing that up for me :)
moved

Post by moved »

We were supposed to fill out the SIF but as I wasn't applying for a Catholic place and didn't have a religious person to complete the relevant form I didn't send it off. We were surprised when the school allocation included a standard place. Perhaps there were not many applicants six years ago.
Manana

Post by Manana »

moved wrote:We were supposed to fill out the SIF but as I wasn't applying for a Catholic place and didn't have a religious person to complete the relevant form I didn't send it off. We were surprised when the school allocation included a standard place. Perhaps there were not many applicants six years ago.

Was your daughter offered a place at both CCHS and St Bernard's on offer day, Moved?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now