Pass marks for each subject

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

gravesendgal

Pass marks for each subject

Post by gravesendgal »

Hello everyone i'm new to posting, so please excuse me! I've been so bored at work today I've been reading the forum all the way back to 2008!!

Anyway, got me thinking that what with the new format this year do we think that the same scoring system will remail, IE having to reach 119 (ish) in each subject? Or now that the papers are clubbed together will it be different?

Sorry if this has been covered, it's about the only thing that's on my mind at the moment and knowing that my DS has weak and strong points.....
PurpleDog

Re: Pass marks for each subject

Post by PurpleDog »

I don't have anything useful to add except that I have the same concerns.

I am hoping that there will be a combined score for Reasoning so that DDs Verbal can compensate for her weakness in Non Verbal and Spatial.

Otherwise it will be touch and go for us!
mystery

Post by mystery »

According to the Kent website there will probably a minimum score to achieve in each of the four subjects, but according to a thread on here they are not going to make the final decision until after the children have sat the test.
PurpleDog

Post by PurpleDog »

I thought there were 5 subjects? Or are we assuming that Spatial is just a subset of non-verbal?
Hopefully things will be a little clearer by the time DD2 takes it next year.
Not sure it really matters to the kids, but causes us parents quite a lot of stress!
Still, they can only do their best and what will be will be!
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

mystery wrote:According to the Kent website there will probably a minimum score to achieve in each of the four subjects, but according to a thread on here they are not going to make the final decision until after the children have sat the test.

Feels like door, bolt, horse, shut.

Shame so basically get all the marks top x% pass etc. Seems sad really poor kids need to know what they are aiming for. In a 25 min test say 40-50 questions they, in olden days, could get about 25% wrong and still get full marks ....

:?
gravesendgal

Post by gravesendgal »

One of my friends seems to think there will just be 2 marks and that English and Maths marks will be joint and then verbal and non verbal as the other paper as there are just 2 papers this year? The theory behind this is the whole girls do better in English boys do better in maths? This was from a Primary School source no idea how accurate it is etc?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Maybe Ladbrokes will take a bet on it?
gravesendgal

Post by gravesendgal »

@ Purple Dog - that's exactly what I was hoping too.

2 Papers, 2 marks and mix together Maths and English and the Reasoning Papers....

Guess we will see! It sucks to be the trial run for this new format - but, as it's been said a thousand times, I suppose we are all in the same boat us Kent lot!
Azure

Post by Azure »

I see from another kent site that Kcc have updated their pages and saying that is a minimum score for each section and minimum score overal. Does this mean min score for maths, min score for English and so on or per paper. Does that mean a min score for spatial reasoning as wel as for VR and ordinary nvr? :(
mystery

Post by mystery »

I cannot see any change in the wording. It still says probably.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now