Parmiter upper school and special needs.

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
OrganicGreen

Parmiter upper school and special needs.

Post by OrganicGreen »

My daughter has ADD (attention deficite disorder), dyslexic plus ASD-Aspergers and is not statemented. I am looking at Parmiter Upper School.

1. Do you have a child as this school who has SEN?
2. How have you and your child found the school?
3. What extra provision has been made for your child.
4. Can you tell me the class size?

Thanks
REad, Read and read some more. Learning is nothing but fun
3b1g

Re: Parmiter upper school and special needs.

Post by 3b1g »

Can't comment on Parmiter's, but DS2 has Asperger's and ADHD and his first year at secondary school (WBGS) went far better than we ever could have imagined. He enjoys secondary and is happier than he was at primary school. If you need any general advice about the transition, I'm happy to answer any questions.
OrganicGreen

Post by OrganicGreen »

3b1g wrote:Can't comment on Parmiter's, but DS2 has Asperger's and ADHD and his first year at secondary school (WBGS) went far better than we ever could have imagined. He enjoys secondary and is happier than he was at primary school. If you need any general advice about the transition, I'm happy to answer any questions.
How did your DS2 manage with going to a larger school. Also having classes of 30 chikdren with one teacher. My daughter day dreams and gets anxious so can easily be left unnoticed by the teacher.
REad, Read and read some more. Learning is nothing but fun
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

He attended a transition course which was one afternoon a week for six weeks towards the end of Y6. They practised finding their way around the school, learning to organise and prioritise homework, learning the school rules etc. It was really helpful and also meant that he got to know a dozen or so boys before Y7 started.

Once Y7 was underway, he attended a weekly workshop to try to encourage flexible thinking and improve inference skills.

The Learning Support department has a 'friendship club' where the boys can drop in any lunchtime they wish, if they want a familiar place to eat their lunch or hang out. There is also a homework club after school, with LSAs on hand to help.

There is an LSA in most of his classes, helping him and two others, but he prefers working independently. He has difficulties with his handwriting, so the LSA or the teacher sometimes writes the homework task in his planner.