Help please with Maths primary TA interview

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

2Girlsmum

Help please with Maths primary TA interview

Post by 2Girlsmum »

Having watched dd2 head off to secondary school last week I decided to look for a job. I have not been in paid employment for 10 years, but spotted a job at the primary school next to the one my daughters attend as a TA, and applied at the weekend. I now have a interview on Friday :shock: and have been asked to give a short oral and mental maths lesson to class 5. I know ks2 maths as a whole pretty well (having taught it to level 6 last year to dd2, and 3 years ago to dd1) but not at a particular stage in the curriculum to to 30 children whose ability I don't know. Should I give them something from the end of y4 or early y5? Does oral and mental mean I can still use teaching aidsand/or give them a sheet of paper etc? I've given talks to Art Students about thesis work before, and I know the interests and general level of y5, but didn't think I'd get a interview on my first application, and 2 days isn't long to prepare a critical lesson!
Daogroupie

Re: Help please with Maths primary TA interview

Post by Daogroupie »

I would prepare a 20 question Mental Maths test that you can then go through afterwards and explain any areas they find difficult. I would do it at Y4 as there are only in their second week of Year Five. They will be looking to see how you engage and control the class. I would do a warm up of some oral times tables. Good Luck. DG
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Nooo - DG that is not an appropriate mental/oral lesson!

I got an e-mail from TES with examples the other day so it might be worth registering (it's free) and looking on there. Look at the new NC for Year 5 and pick something from the mental maths section.

I'd use mini white boards not paper so they can all contribute and show their answer. If these aren't available then give them thinking time (or think, pair, share) ask someone (no hands up) their answer then ask someone else or say 'Who agrees?'

PM me if you want to run ideas past me ... and good luck!
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

Hi - I can't help I'm afraid, but I hope it goes really well.

This next comment is in no way aimed at you or at your ability - I'm sure the experience you have had with your own children will stand you in good stead.

But am I the only person who is a little concerned that an unqualified and classroom inexperienced person is expected to teach a class? I assume if this is part of the interview it will also be part of the job.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

It bothers me a great deal, I hear of it all too often these days sadly.

I'm glad my children are just about through the system now as I despair of the changes made and some teaching methods these days, having said that I worry for children currently undergoing education (specifically primary aged children) and future generations, as in my grandchildren :cry:
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

It has to start some where. I suppose TA is a route to become full time teacher, while getting Teaching qualifications and experience.
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

I have an old PGCE, and used to teach thesis research. Not having worked for so long has meant that I've had to rethink my starting point, and having taught both dd's KS2 maths to level 6 was what drew me to this......
Last edited by 2Girlsmum on Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Oh please, 2Girlsmum, don't think I was having a pop at you. You are openly and honestly applying for a job and all that job entails. My little rant is about successive governments (of all parties) meddling in education, albeit I'm sure they mean well :roll: , it's just not working though :cry:

Good luck with your application, you sound really lovely.
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

:lol: I'm not sure if I'm lovely!.......I applied on impulse and three days later I'm preparing a quick lesson and running over the KS2 syllabus:)
Last edited by 2Girlsmum on Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

remember they have only just started Yr 6, so won't have covered a lot of it yet.
Best thing to remember is keep the pace going. White boards and pens are good, bingo games too.