Which Bucks grammars have places in Yr7

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

irisha

Which Bucks grammars have places in Yr7

Post by irisha »

A friend needs to move to Bucks from North of England - her son just started Yr 7 in a grammar there. They are quite flexible to where in Bucks so can consider any GS which has places. Before she starts calling each school I though I'd post here in case someone actually has this info to hand.

Would I be right to assume that it's better to move in Yr7 on the basis of in-year admissions test rather than wait until Yr8 so that they can avoid competition with 12+?

Very much appreciate any info/advice!

Many thanks!
scary mum

Re: Which Bucks grammars have places in Yr7

Post by scary mum »

The 11 plus isn't transferable so the child would have to take (& pass) the Bucks test to be eligibale for a Bucks grammar school.
scary mum
irisha

Post by irisha »

Scary mum,

Thanks for your response.

They do realized they'd need to take a test again - that's not an issue. The question is whether the move is even feasible, i.e whether schools actually have places if he does pass the test.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I know there were places at Chesham grammar and Sir Henry Floyd a month ago. There were only about 7 or so late sitters at that point so I am guessing there will still be spaces available in those schools.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Oh, I see. I don't think the information is available yet, from what someone was saying on here the other day. People thought that there were spaces at John Hampden - I'll see if I can find the thread & link to it.

Here it is: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=38723" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
irisha

Post by irisha »

This is brilliant, thanks! I guess they could start with calling these ones and work down the list to less realistic options.

If anyone has more information, keep it coming please!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Possible (roughly in descending order of likelihood):
Chesham Grammar
Sir Henry Floyd
John Hampden
Burnham Grammar
Aylesbury Grammar

Highly unlikely:
Dr Challoners
Royal Latin
Royal Grammar
Sir William Borlase
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

You can e.mail bucks county council school admissions for a list of all uppers and grammars in the area with places. They won't tell you how many, but will tell you if there are any.

Burnham, chesham, Henry Floyd and John hampden all had places at the start of term and are either mixed or jh is a boys school.
Aylesbury grammar had some of its six extra funding places it had applied for in June unfilled, I have no idea how that works.

For late in year admissions tests you will need to contact these four schools directly.

Hope it goes well.

Oops, crossed posted with Sally Anne, oh well I have wasted finger energy. :lol:
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

southbucks3 wrote:You can e.mail bucks county council school admissions for a list of all uppers and grammars in the area with places. They won't tell you how many, but will tell you if there are any.
They won't really know how many vacant places there are at this stage. They ask the schools to report on any "no shows" by the end of the first full week back, which is of course tomorrow.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They need to decide whether they prefer a mixed GS; if so then the Floyd is your best bet as it does have spaces.

Housing in north Bucks is cheaper but it depends where they need to be for work.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now