please do not reveal any test contents

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
test2014

please do not reveal any test contents

Post by test2014 »

Good luck to all :)
Last edited by test2014 on Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
southbucks3

Re: please do not reveal any test contents

Post by southbucks3 »

I wonder why they are so relaxed? Other areas seem to be quite horrid about late sitting.

I assume anyone with a plan to cheat , or any unscrupulous tutors, probably have much better sources of information than this web site, but I agree no information should be disclosed about the test questions, format or timing until next September.

I often wondered if there are statistics available that compare an average cohort of children's daily percentage absence from school on a Thursday, with the test cohort percentage absence. If it is available and it transpired they were roughly the same, it would clear up a lot of speculation, if there was a notable rise in absense, then it s something that needs to be reviewed.
I assume the powers that be, do look at this information and have decided that the difference is not notable.

I just wish all parents realised that entering your child into an environment full of relatively, academically brighter children, if their child needs more time to understand concepts, is simply cruel. I have seen first hand the result of a child being sent to completely unsuitable schooling and the outcome is heart breaking. The same parents refuse to remove the child when asked later and the schools are fairly powerless to force the child to be 're-located to another setting, unless they are a threat to themselves or others.

On that note, when son number three asked if I could become invisible, stand next to him during the test and use a form of mind to mind communication to send him the answers.....I refused.....I save my invisibility and telepathic super powers for more important issues, such as working out who is stealing the biscuits from the jar. :lol:
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

You spy on yourself?!!! :lol:

I think statistics on the test scores of late sitters as opposed to "regular sitters" would be interesting. I wonder if they would, on average, be higher, suggesting some form of advantage gained. Wouldn't be rocket science for some type of standardisation formula to be invoked if it was!

To be honest, if a parent has to rely on age standardisation or "cheating" by getting extra information and having their child as a late sitter (as opposed to those who genuinely are poorly or given the late date due to clash of tests or moving into area), to get their child into a school, then it is all getting a bit daft!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

test2014 wrote:The council seems to be relaxed about offering alternative test dates
I would hardly use the word "relaxed"! The reality is that, with 7,000 children taking the test, there will inevitably be some who are unwell on any given day.
I often wondered if there are statistics available that compare an average cohort of children's daily percentage absence from school on a Thursday, with the test cohort percentage absence. If it is available and it transpired they were roughly the same, it would clear up a lot of speculation, if there was a notable rise in absense, then it s something that needs to be reviewed.
If anything, the problem is the reverse of this - children taking the test who are not fit to do so. They invariably plead with their parents to allow them to take the test "with everyone else", and the parents' judgement is swayed by that.

There is also the unfortunate fact that some schools are quite poor at arranging late tests, with children taking tests in unsuitable environments, such as noisy offices, dining rooms, etc. If parents are aware of such issues from previous years, the pressure to send an unwell child in on the main day of testing can be considerable.

The Review/Appeal is then based on "Well, he really wanted to take the test with all his friends, so we let him go in to school. However, we do think it cost him some marks ...". That has never been a popular argument with Appeal Panels, and I doubt that Review Panels are any more fond of it.
kenyancowgirl wrote:I think statistics on the test scores of late sitters as opposed to "regular sitters" would be interesting. I wonder if they would, on average, be higher, suggesting some form of advantage gained. Wouldn't be rocket science for some type of standardisation formula to be invoked if it was!
All late testers have the exact date of testing recorded on their forms, and the results are standardised accordingly.
test2014 wrote:there is no guarantee of rdifferent paper to be used. It wouldn't be fair for children who took the test on the 11th if any of the test contents are revealed by any parents on the forum.
Oddly enough, the Moderators are aware of this point ...
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

You spy on yourself?!!! :lol:
I'll have you know not one of those Maryland cookies passed my lips. (I have my own personal stash. :lol: )

Kcg, it certainly is getting daft, the air of desperation amongst certain sectors of society is almost tangible, but worse it it contagious. I think ideally each and every child should be in an environment that suits them best, but sadly more and more people are trying to force their child to suit the environment, it can certainly get results, but we have yet to discover the long term implications. My dad forced me into studying physics, I did not understand it, my friends helped me all the time, now as an adult I do understand the basics, but still have no confidence in electrics or structures on site, which I know us down to two years of struggling to be as good as everyone else in the class.
Lordy, we have enough resentment with the adult drudge of the 9-5, without making childhood miserable too.
wucks

Please do not reveal any test contents

Post by wucks »

I stupidly thought late sitters would have a different test. I could not imagaine 7000 kids keeping quiet. My daughter remembered at least 11 words and gave feedback to her tutor as did lots of others. The tutors always get content and use them in mock tests for future years. It seems they also use the data to coach late sitters to help them get higher marks. They may pass anyway. Surely, people do not expect 14,000 parents and 7000 children to be silent. My daughter was discussing content with friends, comparing what they remembered and answers.

I heard through the grapevine that content is being shared on other sites, so all later sitters have the same advantage. I haven't seem it though. I think some people think it's a different test, but it seems it is the same test. They must be barmy to use the same test. How hard is it to create another test of similar difficulty? As it is we have a qualifying score and not ranking system, so slight variation is not so important.

Looks like I was very silly!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Anyone seen the fuss going on on Mumsnet about this in Berkshire?
scary mum
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

I know quite a few parents who missed the registration date (as CEM is new to us) and so are sitting in March. I wonder if the same test is used ? It seems crazy if it is !
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

If you are talking about Bucks, yes, it is. I don't know about other areas, but I would expect it to be so.
scary mum
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

Surely if they're sitting it in March, that can't affect our DC as they will not only have their 11+ results but also be allocated a school?

I agree it's wrong to use the same test, I really can't imagine that could happen!!

I must check out what's going on on Mumsnet (if I can find it)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now