SWHerts catchment

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

rakki2004

SWHerts catchment

Post by rakki2004 »

It is bit confusing which schools in Herts go by catchment on top of academic test. I am going through WGBS. There is a inner and outer catchments.
Can the people outside these catchments do the test?
How about other schools like queens, parimeter and rickman?
Do they also have catchments?

We have decided to go for SWHerts tomorrow amid request to change the date in latymer been refused.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
3b1g

Re: SWHerts catchment

Post by 3b1g »

The catchment area doesn't mean your child will get a place, just that their academic score will be considered, ie they'll get a place if their score is in the top X scores. If you live outside both catchment areas, then your child's academic score won't be considered, ie they won't get a place even if they get full marks.
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

So WBGS offer X number of places to the top scorers living in the inner catchment and Y number of places to top scorers living in the outer catchment and zero places to top scorers living outside both areas.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Last year the Consortium clashed with Dame Alice Owen's and I know several students who were allowed to attend the Consortium on the backup date. This is a precedent from last year that you can quote to them so it is discriminatory to allow it last year and not this year. I would have another go at persuading them quoting last year. DG
rakki2004

Post by rakki2004 »

Thank you 3b1g. Is it same for other schools as well?
onzeplus

Post by onzeplus »

Each of the schools in the consortium has its own rules.

3b1g has explained the rules for WBGS. (Actually, in theory, if there weren't enough applicants from the inner and outer catchments then you could get a place from outside the catchment. In practice this scenario won't happen).

Parmiter's has a set of priority postcodes (WD3 to WD25, AL1, AL2, AL3, HP1, HP2, HP3, HA6) with a very limited number of places available to those outside of these postcodes.

I suggest you look at the admission policies for each of the schools you're interested in to check your eligibility. You'll be able to find policies the on the website of the school.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now