Woodford County exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Reh

Woodford County exam

Post by Reh »

Hi all. My Dd sat the Woodford exam today and felt quite low, said she found it quite hard...just wondered how others found it?
wfgrls

Re: Woodford County exam

Post by wfgrls »

Certain sections were quite hard and time was tight, but fortunately, my DD managed to attempt all the questions. Was timing an issue for others as well?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It was a hard paper. Students I know of sat the same paper at Latymer and none of them found it easy. All 11 plus papers are designed to be hard as there are far too many applicants and schools cannot have hundreds of students all on the same mark. I would be encouraged by the fact your student found it hard. It means they were focusing and reading the questions properly. I am always uneasy when students come out and say that it was a piece of cake, it never is. DG
wfgrls

Post by wfgrls »

In all fairness, it is all a bit harsh on 11 year olds.
Last edited by wfgrls on Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Highamsmum

Post by Highamsmum »

My DD found the timings hard. She said in the verbal sections it wasn't that the questions were too difficult, but that the timings were very tight. She said NVR was unexpectedly difficult (although others who did Latymer said their DC found it ok) and maths was always going to be tough for her. So not very optimistic about her prospects but never mind, it's done now. Obviously can't post about what was in the paper because of late sittings but once that date has passed would be happy to pass information to next year's sitters as DD was quite informative about the paper.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

That would be very useful but please hold fire until we are sure there are no more sittings. It seems that some students are sitting on a third sitting. DG
Icepop

Post by Icepop »

My dd said that she also managed to answer all the questions within the timings, guessed a few maths ones , but had no time to go over and recheck. Also said the voice on the CD was really loud, updating the girls on the timing... Made them work faster!
About the late sitters, surely they cannot repeat the same questions it would be totally unfair as we all can be patient on this forum, but you can't stop the school mums in the playground exchanging details!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I sincerely hope that it is a different paper to make it fair for everyone who has sat it. With thousands sitting the paper on Saturday at Latymer and Redbridge anyone sitting the same paper late has had lots of opportunities to pick up information. Just knowing a few of the words that were used would gain you marks as you can look them up in the dictionary just before going into the exam. And it will just be one mark that secures a place for one student over another. It seems that some students are sitting late for other reasons than sickness on the day so hopefully a different paper will be used. DG
Icepop

Post by Icepop »

That's positive to hear, thanks daogroupie.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now