How much VR are you doing?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Manana

How much VR are you doing?

Post by Manana »

I've probably asked this before but just wondered what others are doing? With DS two years ago, I did about 1/3 maths, English and VR -maybe even spent closer to 1/2 the time doing VR. This time, with DD, we haven't really done much VR and I'm worrying a little! We did all the IPS question types in y5 and she's been doing the 10 minute IPS papers periodically and also some anagrams but she's nowhere near as fast at eg the code type questions that DS could do at speed. Does this matter?!

The mocks that dd has done have pretty much replicated the familiarisation papers and just changed the words on the applied reasoning papers-assuming the questions in this year's paper would be the same type but of course, they might not be?! It could be a page of code questions...?!

What have you covered, fellow DIY-ers??
Shapla

Re: How much VR are you doing?

Post by Shapla »

From the familiarisation paper, it seems there won't be much VR. 10mins worth? Or have I got it wrong?

If so, then I am stuffed.. :shock:
Manana

Post by Manana »

Ha ha-yes, us too! I can imagine it won't be identical and can see them changing the type of VR from that one page of applied reasoning and doing-find a word that has the closest meaning etc instead but if they suddenly wallop a load of pages of VR in, we are screwed ;)
Essex-Mum

Post by Essex-Mum »

That what I'm worried about, please help......my DD is sitting next year the CSSE exams and not sure whether she needs to learn the 21 different types of Verbal Reasoning.

Any helpful advise would be appreciated
Manana

Post by Manana »

Essex-Mum wrote:That what I'm worried about, please help......my DD is sitting next year the CSSE exams and not sure whether she needs to learn the 21 different types of Verbal Reasoning.

Any helpful advise would be appreciated
We did the 21 types before we knew they'd changed the format.

I would still cover them all as you won't know which types they will put into the 'Applied Reasoning' section. It was only about 5 marks in the familiarisation paper, but they could throw anything at you in the real thing.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now