Secondary Schools near Princes Risborough

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
NanoNano

Secondary Schools near Princes Risborough

Post by NanoNano »

Does anyone have any information on the non-selective schools near Risborough? Everyone seems to be avoiding the PRB secondary school because of its Ofsted rating so I would like to hear from anyone who has some firsthand dealings with this or any other schools in the area (Thame/Missenden/Wycombe). I haven't worked through all the admissions policies yet so not sure of options.

Thanks
Guest55

Re: Secondary Schools near Princes Risborough

Post by Guest55 »

Most people think PRS is improving but ...

Misbourne in Great Missenden has good Ofsted, Lord Bills in Thame is well regarded (Ofsted outstanding but under old framework) and St Michael's Catholic (High Wycombe) is rated good.

You need to look at historic allocation profiles to see which are possibilites and go and see for yourself.
NanoNano

Post by NanoNano »

Guest55 wrote:Most people think PRS is improving but ...
Does that mean you aren't so sure?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I've sent you a PM.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

The Head of PRS was drafted in to support a grammar school that was in trouble. I think that speaks volumes in itself. I suspect that the issues at the school may date back to that period in time.

I have certainly not heard anything to suggest that "everyone is avoiding PRS".

The number of first preferences for the school has been consistent for some years, and has risen since 2008.
Tree

Post by Tree »

We were really pleased with Lord Bills in Thame my DD has just left and loved her time there. You do need to live in the right place for catchment, if you visit you can sometimes get the wrong feeling as you generally visit the lower school which maybe comes across as less academic and comprehensive than the local grammar schools but the upper school from from year 10 tends to stream kids more along academic lines and so allows for late developers , if you have a specific questions feel free to PM me.
Lillie

Post by Lillie »

Lord Williams's has been very difficult to get into from the Princes Risborough area for the last couple of years. What I understand is that you really do need to live in Oxfordshire catchment to secure a place. There are absolutely no guarantees to get in there from the Risborough area, although some have in past years.

I agree that touring round the lower school does not give the best impression of the school. It also streams by English and PE in the lower school (at least it used to), but not by maths. Don't know if that is still the case? Also, I understand the school did not offer the option of triple science, only double award general science, which surprises me given its outstanding status as a comprehensive. Can anyone confirm if that is still the case?

PRS does, however, offer triple science to able pupils.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Prince's risborough has its tour on Thursday...have a look, ask the same question you have asked here.

After much speculation as to why it was so unpopular I met the deputy head last year, she was wonderful I have to say, the things she said to put my ds at ease and the way she responded to our fears,was brilliant. Ds did not go, due to winning his appeal for grammar but our fears he would be left to flounder were lessened.

The school does have trouble keeping great staff, but then so do all the uppers, and tbh rgs lost several great teachers last term.

Guest55 will have filled you in about certain aspects of management, I am sure. The ofsted rating related mostly to this if you read the report carefully.

Triple science is actively encouraged, maths is pushed hard too, they have many very able near miss children attend the school, their needs are concentrated upon in years 10/11 probably too much for fairness of others. The sixth form needs to find a balance, tricky when in reality the cohort who are not supposed to be bright enough to study for several A Levels and achieve great marks want to do just that. However your child can shop around at sixth form time.

There is a historic snobbery from the surrounding south side villages which means people tend to travel to the misbourne, away ftom the banjo playing, grass chewing risboroughites. When misbourne was struggling risborough became very popular with the same parents. :roll: You will be regaled with stories of vodka in the loos, teenage s*x romps, smoking on the playing fields, told by caring parents who always finish their tales with a triumphant, "I am sure #### will do brilliantly there, but it just wasn't right for jakey and he so badly wanted to go to the misbourne to study three languages and play the double bass, we felt it worth the taxi fares." All nonsense really, more to do with the amount of z3' s in the car park and home addresses without a house number, in some cases, although misbourne is a fine school of course.

The kids love the location, they have a new sports centre, they have a safe environment, great sense of family values, a brilliant basket ball team and a lovely safe town to wander round and meet up with friends at after school if they want. There are problems, but these are found at most uppers...finding the balance between homework given and homework they can do extra in order to do very well can be tricky for bright kids who may need pushing a bit, from what my friends tell me. There is also a sizeable chunk of timetable dedicated to community lessons in year 7/8 but they choose their subjects in year 8 and then knuckle down hard in year 9.

Anyway, I will be there Thursday with ds3, so will listen out for your question. :wink:
Last edited by southbucks3 on Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tree

Post by Tree »

For lord Williams

They certainly streamed in maths at lower school up to 4 years ago and then streamed in english maths science in upper school i don't think anything has changed, they do not offer triple science only double for GCSE but do offer all for A level and i think focus their efforts (best teachers) for A level ; one of DD's friends is going to cambridge this year to do biology and got 3A* in the sciences and the maths results are good for A level, in fact all their A level results are good considering they let anyone with a B at gcse take the a level and often people with C's if they ask nicely!

I think Risborough town maybe problem for catchment but the border is close so Chinnor, Aston Rowant, Henton and Towersy are all fine and the Bucks villages Long Crendon, Brill Shabbington and Chilton are catchement for lord bills and the Bucks grammar schools and lots of kids from Haddenham, Chearsley and Cuddington seem to get in ok.

Feel free to pm me if you want more info, i really don't know much about PRS but i know that certainly quite a few kids join LB's from PR for sixth form
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now