KS1 - Some questions

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

BLuedrop

KS1 - Some questions

Post by BLuedrop »

Hi all,
My DD is in year2 at a state primary. Her school is really good, but I have no clue what maths they teach her. All through year1, I did maths with her at home regularly. Her school don't tell me the NC levels, my understanding is that she is at 2b.

We are now doing Schofield and Sims First Mental Arithmatic 4, she is consistently scoring 27+ in the tests (27/30). We will do 5 and 6 right after.

What next?

1. Which other books are good for KS1 Maths? Can you pls tell me in the order of difficulty? She loves maths.

2. Which books are good for KS1 spellings/writing? I have reception, year1, year2 high frequency words list. Where can I find books/material that list spellings at and beyond KS1

3. What other subjects do I need to cover at home for KS1? What book?

Thanks
Bluedrop
mystery

Re: KS1 - Some questions

Post by mystery »

Look at the new national curriculum for English she stays on the old curriculum in year 2, but years 1 and 3 are on the new curriculum so there would be benefits to taking a peek at it, particularly the spelling index.

Maths - so many books. Buy something you like the look of from a big bookshop?

Could try s and s mental arithmetic series book 1 and 2. There are 6 books going to end ks2 / early ks3.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Hi Bluedrop,

Why do you think you need to be covering KS1 material at home with your daughter? You say the school is really good - I think she is 6 years old? Unless she is very keen to work at home why not just let her be?

If you and she are very keen to be doing extra over what she gets in 6 hours a day of school why not go and speak to her teacher and ask what you should do to support her?
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Hi,

Read, read and then read some more. Great way of naturally extending vocabulary and learn about whatever interests her.

BW
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

count socks in pairs, work out how many apples you need for a weeks lunchboxes, let her help you cook and weigh out, play games, have fun..