Teaching time to a year 2 child

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
fatbananas

Teaching time to a year 2 child

Post by fatbananas »

With ds1 I kept expecting the school to teach him time, just as I had been taught it - at school, not by my parents. But it never happened. Finally in year 3 I asked about it and they said they didn't have enough time to teach time, assumed the parents would do it, and that I'd better hurry up because they would soon be doing time word problems....

Although at a different school now, I don't want that to happen again. Dc1 can do time problems now but is very slow and not100% accurate reading an analogue watch! Are there any methods/ other resources anyone can recommend to me to teach Dc2, who is 6 and young in his class.

Thank you :)
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
Tinkers

Re: Teaching time to a year 2 child

Post by Tinkers »

Some of the 'my first watch' type watches are pretty good. I found an on line game, but it's some time ago, so I haven't managed to find it again.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes, buy a geared demo clock from Power of 2 website and a watch that he likes. Teach him to read the time with the geared clock so that he can then read his watch.

Do some problems with the geared clock - he can move the fingers round to answer the questions.

You could also work through the "Power of Time" which you can buy quite quickly on the Power of 2 website.

Then move on to reading timetables in 12 and 24 hour clock - finding how long journeys take. Then do things where you have to find out the start time if you know the end time and how long the event is etc etc.

Use timelines too if it helps as well as the clock with the fingers that you can move around.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.time-for-time.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; try this website.

or this

http://resources.woodlands-junior.kent. ... asures.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For problems a number line is useful.
Last edited by Guest55 on Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

I really liked timemonsters for my boys (type it into any search engine), its an online site that gives them plenty of practice. At the top of the page it says quizzes (I don't know why its so tiny but you can miss it) and that tells the children to drag the hands to the correct time. Its great fun!
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thank you everyone: that's all really helpful. Ds1 really came on leaps and bounds when I used timelines, to the point where he's now incredibly quick at those, but still panics looking at an analogue watch!

Those websites all look great and will provide variety.

The power of 2 website looks terrific too. Out of interest, have you tried the Hoohaa multiplication games on there, Mystery?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I saw a demo of HooHa! and was underwhelmed - very expensive for cards you could easily make yourself.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Ah, ok, thanks Guest55.
justanothermother

Post by justanothermother »

Melissa and Doug shape sorting clock worked well for my child. It depends on the child, but mine liked the idea of being physically able to manipulate the hands. I also found it to be useful when introducing easy time problems. :)
mystery

Post by mystery »

I was underwhelmed with HOO HAA too. But my daughter did like them for a while. I think the advantage of the printed version is that it looks like a game whereas as soon as I write on flashcard it's "work". She's not so easily fooled now though - HOOHAA would definitely look like work at 50 paces.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now