bucks appeal 117 ?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

camden

bucks appeal 117 ?

Post by camden »

My son was scoring above 90% reguarly in his practice papers, but scores in actual tests 116 and 117. Have spent he weekend being very positive with him - he was devastated at first, but much happier now (tho going into school this morning will be a great test of character - most of his friends passed!) Have just been to see Head who thinks he would be suited to a GS & very happy to support out appeal tho' says we have an outside chance only. She had him as a "probable" pass, tho' level 1 in attitude(?), predicted 2 level 5s Eng / Science & probable 5 in Maths. CAT scores were above average but not fantastic. He is on the Talented & Gifted Register and has a reading age of 16. We see him as a very bright, confident kid, with an enquiring (inquiring?!) mind who has a mature attitude to work and who just can't wait to jump into all that life brings every single day. I feel totally flat - not sure that academic background from school is glowing enough and academic grounds are only case we can argue on. Just don't know what happened on the day...would love any comments, just to feel support is out there.... :(
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Camden

I am sorry that your son didn't get the marks you all hoped for.

You have an interesting "mixed bag" of academic evidence there, and provided you can live with the stress of an Appeal I would give it a go. The Head is right that you have an outside chance, as both scores are towards the low end of the Appeal range, but they are consistent scores and there are some very strong points in your evidence as well - reading age, G&T, etc.

I think one of the key points will be what the Head's ranking was - you say it was "1" for attitude to work - what was the other ranking?

Please read Etienne's Q&A, especially on the Head's supporting evidence, and post back to us with more questions. I suggest that you apply for the Appeal pack and then see how much evidence you can gather up from the school before you finally decide to go ahead.

Good luck!

Sally-Anne
camden

Bucks appeal 117?

Post by camden »

Hi Sally-Anne,
Many thanks for your reply!

My son was ranked 16 on the Head's list (probably suitable) but I don't know how many kids were on it, or how many passes / fails there were above or below my son....maybe 16th is "bad"?!

Best wishes,
Camden
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hello, Camden

I'm not quite sure what "probably suitable" means. :D. Is it no. 3?

The current Bucks definitions are:
1= exceptionally highly recommended (predicted score 131-141)
2= highly recommended (121-130)
3= recommended with reservations (111-120)
4= not recommended for grammar school (101-110)
5= definitely not recommended (69-100)

16th could be good or bad, depending on the size and academic ability of the year group.

Regards
Etienne
Katie

Post by Katie »

Very good luck if you go to appeal. You can but try and then know that you've done your best. Best wishes to your little boy too.
camden

bucks appeal 117?

Post by camden »

Hi Ettienne!

I think it's 3!

Thanks,
Camden
camden

Post by camden »

...just another thing, while I think of it....!
My son has been doing Kumon maths & English for a year. Is it worth getting evidence of his achievement levels in this because it could also show that he can cope with the work load....or would it have the opposite effect and make us look horribly pushy?!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

personally I would NOT mention it!! It is not sufficiently related to National Curriculum and would not add to your case.
camden

Post by camden »

Thanks!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I tend to agree with Guest55, although I see no harm in mentioning it under "interests". The current BCC selection appeals booklet specifically invites "evidence of any intellectual or academic interests out-of-school".
http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/get/asset ... t_2008.pdf
(page 10)
Etienne