OMG Reading Kendrick cheating possiblity in paper link below

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Welshlady

OMG Reading Kendrick cheating possiblity in paper link below

Post by Welshlady »

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/mums-f ... am-7758748" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Take a look a this. Can't believe morning kids are allowed to leave with big gap before afternoon kids when no competition for places as its for 6 other schools they are sitting for too.
rajster

Re: OMG Reading Kendrick cheating possiblity in paper link b

Post by rajster »

Valid statement made by the parent. We had the same concerns and was told there is no overlap when we spoke to Kendrick administration. Our daughter sat the morning paper and we picked up about 11.50 (was supposed to be 11.30). after the exam she was totally drained however by the time we walked to Oracle she had told me about 5 words that came up and some of which she did not know. We could have easily texted someone (if we had wanted to) to share the words so that the parent could inform their daughter that for Word x, the answer is this.

Totally disagree with the headteachers statement:
She went on: “CEM assure us that the nature and content of both test papers is such that it would be very difficult to communicate anything that would benefit another candidate.”

It would not have been difficult at all to cheat.

Totally agree with Sheena Ager's comment.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I don't think this is new. It was certainly the same in Bucks, and there will always be back up dates using the same papers. Late sitters can sit the tests for some months to come, I believe (until July in Bucks). Children are notoriously unreliable in their recall of exam questions, but yes, some unscrupulous tutors will get as much information as possible. I really think it is a handful of late sitters who could gain an "advantage", not the afternoon sitting.
scary mum
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I love lots of things about this article:

The chosen photo if teens sitting an exam....particularly like the person in the middle gasping around while all the others are working...bet they never thought they would be caught on camera!

The quote "sell a kidney to get into these schools" ... a bit extreme. :lol:

How does Sheena know the passmark will be 90% does she have spooky knowledge?

The notion that a twin brother would give his sister any vocabulary or vice versa...more likely they would feed them false answers. :lol:

Like scary said, nothing new. Unless the test is carried around in a battered old red case, padlock on, chained to the wrist of an angelic invigilator, and there is only one sitting in one place of one paper, some over zealous person will find a way to get information to certain children prior to the test.
amnash

Post by amnash »

We have a friend whose son sat Reading's morning session it never came to my mind that we could get test info from them (to be honest my concentration was far from what time morning session start or finish, I was more concerned about our session and not to be late or miss anything),, more interesting, when we were in the queue to get into Kendrick's afternoon session few boys and girls who sat the morning sessions came by (singing and dancing) and I haven't seen anyone asking them for test information.

Until today my daughter haven't told me single word from the test, I stopped asking her because I don't want her to stress over it. Moreover, we actually stopped working on vocabulary 3 weeks before the test because I believe it is not something a 10 year old child can just memorise, they need to understand words within different contexts and over time,,,,

My question is will things like this help parents in appeals?
Sandala

Post by Sandala »

rajster wrote:I really think it is a handful of late sitters who could gain an "advantage", not the afternoon sitting.
Absolutely agree.

Other morning sitters may be able to verify this, but I believe they were all kept back 30 or so mins to avoid overlap with the afternoon sitters - probably in response to Sheena's complaint to Kendrick – if so, poor children having just sat an exam.

What's more, even if a child could remember the odd word that came up, they'd unlikely to be able to remember the 5-8 answer options. My DD told me two words in the exam but she couldn't remember the answer options – she was just happy that she knew them.

I would imagine most parents are more concerned about keeping their child calm and happy before the exam rather than cram last-minute revision into them. This article is laughable! Sell a kidney, I don't think so!
Sandala

Post by Sandala »

Whoops I was quoting and agreeing with Scary Mum! Don't know what happened there... too busy laughing!
Last edited by Sandala on Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

amnash wrote:My question is will things like this help parents in appeals?
It won't, you could score 99.9% average at Kendrick but they won't give you a place if they've already filled the 96 slots :shock:

Yes, as we were in the afternoon queue at Kendrick, there were morning girls coming up to their friends telling them the test was 'easy'. This is the first time I've ever seen this at Kendrick, I always thought it's very well organised.

Either way it didn't worry us one little bit if were am or pm or whatever anybody else was saying or hearing. In our experience those who say it was easy find out it wasn't so easy on results day and if anybody ever told us about any test content we would just disregard it anyway.

Some bits in that article are ridiculous, I don't think people are that desperate!

Btw, congrats to the Reading girl that had the amazing score at Walsall. I hope you get Kendrick as your first choice and its a shame CEM didn't use the first raw score to standardise for your other sittings :wink:
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

The is very much possible.

When my DD finished her exam at HBS she met a friend outside the school as we were walking towards our cars. They were talking a lot about the exam. Hard/easy bits in each section of both papers, timings, vocabulary, maths question types, asking us if they marked it right/wrong… Another girl standing next to them was listening curiously, talking at times and her parents typing on mobile phone. Later on we saw the girl actually joined the queue for next session.
Don't know what/how much she heard, if her parents were making notes on mobile, looking in dictionary ????
Even if she heard 5-6 hard words would it make a big difference in the end result?
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

sonasona wrote:
Btw, congrats to the Reading girl that had the amazing score at Walsall. I hope you get Kendrick as your first choice and its a shame CEM didn't use the first raw score to standardise for your other sittings :wink:
Do you mean someone from Reading actually sat the Walsall paper as a practice for Kendrick ?