No. of people who sat Kendrick exam?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

rajster

No. of people who sat Kendrick exam?

Post by rajster »

may already been answered in some other forum but does anyone know how many girls sat the entrance exam. Believe last year it was 794 or something similar.
rg45mum

Re: No. of people who sat Kendrick exam?

Post by rg45mum »

I know it was in the region of 600 but that was just at Kendrick and of course there are others in Slough who will be putting in for their results to be considered for both ... however a more useful bit of information is the number who actually applied to Kendrick last year once the results were out and of course discounts the people using it as a mock etc etc... that is on the Reading Borough Council website for school admissions - their booklet is on line now - and was 321.

I would warrant that as people will have to prove they were resident in June this year - which will catch out a number of people (they will be asked for evidence by the council after the October deadline - well at least that is how it works for my council's applications) - my gut feel is that the number will be lower. I was chatting to someone who works at Kendrick who said last year was also a bumper year for applications and a lower number are expected .... so whilst the number that sat are important, ultimately it is the number who actually apply for a place by the end of October that counts that may be more relevant?
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

rajster, you must be feeling confident after wghs results? Well done to your dd.

What brings you to Kendrick too?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Last year 776 sat for Kendrick, the year before was 651. In previous years, it was usual more around the 500 mark sitting.

Of course only those who got over 109, (or below and felt like appealing, good luck with that) would have applied. Some of would have been out of catchment and not moved, they applied just on the off chance they might get a place.

This year of course, those ooc won't count. Even if they move, they still won't count. However I expect quite a number sitting at Slough would have ticked the box. Maybe the kudos of saying, 'DD got enough to get into Kendrick, but we weren't in catchment' appealed to some. Some of course will have been caught out by the date change.
There is a little overlap in catchments for Slough and Kendrick schools, so I don't there are many sitting at Slough that will end up counting.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

rg45mum wrote:I know it was in the region of 600 but that was just at Kendrick and of course there are others in Slough who will be putting in for their results to be considered for both ... however a more useful bit of information is the number who actually applied to Kendrick last year once the results were out and of course discounts the people using it as a mock etc etc... that is on the Reading Borough Council website for school admissions - their booklet is on line now - and was 321.
rg45mum, slightly confused with the 321 number. Is this the number of DDs who passed or is it no of DDs who had Kendrick as first preference ?
Will you please post the link to Reading BC website.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I would guess it's the number that put down Kenrdrick on their CAF, regardless of position.

I'll have a look in a bit.
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

321 applicants expressed an interest on the CAF

Admission Number for September 2014 : 96
Number of applications for September 2013: 321
2011 Appeals - heard 10 : None granted
2012 Appeals - heard 5 : None granted
2013 Appeals - heard 11 : None granted
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Thanks Tinkers and sonasona !

Does it mean out of 776 DDs who sat the exam last year 321(OOC + DA) passed the exam ?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I doubt it, as due to standardisation not all 321 wouldn't have actually made the cutoff. There must have been people with lower than 109 who applied. There could be a few close to the cutoff who may have shelled out for a remark and applied anyway, but it cost a lot £400, I think.

I haven't heard of a successful appeal in many years either.
rajster

Post by rajster »

Thanks everyone for your feeedback, appreciated.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now