Medway Math test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Ford2004

Medway Math test

Post by Ford2004 »

I have mentioned this is another post but I wanted to get your views. My daughter sat the test. Math was ridiculously hard. Most of the questions were something year 8 pupils would get! What a joke that was! The pass mark will surely be low this year because of the impossible math test!!? actually feel annoyed they made is so hard for our little 10/11 yr olds after they have all worked so very hard. What are your thoughts on this?
annabella

Re: Medway Math test

Post by annabella »

My son found the English and VR fine but the Maths test extremely difficult and Maths is his strength, his friend who is a total whizz at Maths also found it very tricky. He is now quite despondent and guessed at least 10 of the answers! good luck to your daughter
medwayparent

Post by medwayparent »

Same for my son. I think there are going to be some strange results, it will all be down to how well they guessed! :(
Ford2004

Post by Ford2004 »

Maths was tricky in previous years but do you think this years test was changed to make it harder?! I was aware the Kent test had been changed but thought the Medway was going to be the same?
annabella

Post by annabella »

I'm unsure regarding previous tests, my other son passed the 11+ 2 years ago and he found the maths ok and wasn't at a level as high as my son who took it last week?
Ford2004

Post by Ford2004 »

So we agree that the test was really hard?! My DD said it was an impossible test... way beyond her despite all the revision! She was ready for the test but what she was confronted with was not 11+ work????
annabella

Post by annabella »

yes I agree that it was hard, although I suppose it was the same for them all and the top 23% will go through regardless, the worry I have is that some will have guessed more accurately,
medwayparent

Post by medwayparent »

That is my worry too! In previous years it has always been a mix of hard questions. I don't understand why a lot of questions were Year 8???
Ford2004

Post by Ford2004 »

I know, year 8 work?? It's as if they don't want anyone to pass! I agree that if it comes down to guess work, it means the children either guessed well or they didn't. After all their hard work to prepare for a 'normal 11+ test' what a waste of their efforts! Might as well of not practised anything and just guessed the whole thing! Even the strong math kids struggled. Ridiculous!
DTaylor

Post by DTaylor »

Hi all,
My son also took the Medway Test (Maths). He has been achieving GCSE Level C for the last year so is very advanced in Maths. He also said the paper was hard so it must have been very hard. He usually only gets 3 or 4 questions wrong in the mock papers.

I also have friends who are teachers and have reviewed the Maths paper and all of them have said it's hard. They can't believe how hard the questions are considering the age of the children.

Only a week and 2 days to go so fingers crossed everyone.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now