Standardised Scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Jazz-UK

Standardised Scores

Post by Jazz-UK »

Hi,

If an August baby scored 350 in the Walsall exam, what score would that be for a September baby?

Thanks
UmSusu

Re: Standardised Scores

Post by UmSusu »

It would be 350.

The score you receive is already standardised to take into account any variations in raw scores achieved according to age. However, I have been told there may be a difference of around 8 or 9 marks in the raw score.
UmSusu
WoolEyes

Post by WoolEyes »

By whom have you been told this, more importantly, do you believe it to be true?
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

UmSusu's reply seems correct from the information on standardisation on this website and the fact the children took 2 papers.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Jazz-UK

Post by Jazz-UK »

Thanks, so just to clarify, a child that is almost a year older (11 months) would have probably scored 342/3 compared to the younger child's 350.

That seems reasonable given the almost one extra years learning.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Thats not correct and not what UmSusu said. 350 is the standardised score.We dont know what the raw marks were.The only difference is that over the 3 areas in the 2 papers there was a difference of 8 to 9 marks
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Jazz-UK

Post by Jazz-UK »

Sorry, my fault :-)

What I was trying to establish, if two children with an age difference of approx. 11 months, got exactly the same raw score, what would the difference in standardised scores be?
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

just go on the thread CEM PREPARATION the information is a click away.

Abraham Lincoln
rabbie burns

Post by rabbie burns »

Each test is unique in terms of the scores achieved so there is no magic figure for all tests. You need to look at it the other way round. In most cem tests an august child needs 2 or 3 less in the raw score to get the same standardised score as a sept child. So child one gets say 75 and a score of 230. Child two gets 78 and a score of 230. Google standardisation and you can find a typical conversion tables used in these test. Hope that's clear and helps.
KenR

Post by KenR »

I did obtain the Standardisation table for a previous Birmingham CEM 11+ exam some years ago under a FOI request. I posted this on the forum:-
All I can tell you is that in 2006 (which was one of the early Durham CEM tests) - for a child of my son age (10.85 years) at the time of the test the following age standardisation conversions were used:-

VERBAL
63/100=113, 64/100=114, 67/100=116

NUMERICAL
43/82=113, 44/82=114, 46/82=116

NON VERBAL
49/70=113, 50/70=114, 52/70=116

The only thing I would point out is that the raw scores are significantly less than the 90% requirements claimed by some parents and also much lowere than typical NFER practice scores.

I recall that the around the area of the pass mark 116 (KECHB was 347 that year) the difference between the raw scores for the oldest and youngest child was about 7-8 marks in each of the sections. viz for VR for example the youngest child might only have had to 62/100 whereas for the oldest it was something like 70/100.
Although this varies from exam to exam, typically the difference in raw score between the youngest and oldest child is about 7-8 raw score marks to achieve the same standardised score. So the difference between a Aug and Sept birth date (ie 1 month) is unlikely to be more than 1 raw score mark for each standardisation(paper in this case)

Hope this helps
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now