11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
walsallmum

Feels like lots of girls passed!

Post by walsallmum »

Hi all

I think I'm being paranoid .
My dd scored 320 in the www consortium
On her return to school she learned 8 other girls got similar scores

I'm stressing that the cut off point will go up if soooooo many girls got over 309

I'm worried my dd won't make it into qmhs with 320

Any advice
quasimodo

Re: Feels like lots of girls passed!

Post by quasimodo »

You know for certain the following points;
1. Your daughter got a score of 320.
2.The last admission at QMHS was 309 in 2014.
3.The majority of people who applied if they gained the admission marks will have a number of schools they can get admission to. For example your daughter has the marks for QMHS and WGHS if you put both schools down. If you have applied to the Birmingham consortium then it is likely your daughter will get the marks for admission there also.
4.What you don't know for CERTAIN is that 8 other girls have got similar marks. Sometimes children don't tell the truth about their marks.
RELAX YOUR DAUGHTER WILL GAIN HER PLACE JUST PUT THE SCHOOL AT THE TOP OF THE LIST. The local authority forms should have come through the post. You can do it online when you have your 5 schools. Just make sure it is with the local authority by the 31st October 2014 if its done online you will get a confirmatory e mail.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

PS you have one less person competing against your dd namely my dd. We intend to apply to WGHS having the same score for QMHS. Like everyone we await the Birmingham consortium results due on 17th October 2014.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Buckbeak

Post by Buckbeak »

Hi guys.....talking of wghs and QM....

On my DD letters from wghs,QM and Nghs, the letters said we strongly recommend you apply.

I was told by another parent that they got a letter from wghs that said your DD has gained a place ( I haven't seen their letter so I can't quote it ).

Do wghs, QM and Nghs send differently worded letters to parents dependent on whether that child's score and so rank falls into the intake number?

Or do they just send 2 types- STRONGLY RECOMMEND and something like Do Not RECOMMEND ?

Appreciate your input folks ......
Jazz-UK

Post by Jazz-UK »

I'm pretty sure our Walsall QM Girls letter didn't say strongly recommend, even though our DD got a good score. Someone mentioned it one of the earlier posts, so I was looking out for it. Either the QM letters don't state it, or it may be because we have a Birmingham postcode. I'll check the letter again tonight.
Buckbeak

Post by Buckbeak »

Jazz-UK wrote:I'm pretty sure our Walsall QM Girls letter didn't say strongly recommend, even though our DD got a good score. Someone mentioned it one of the earlier posts, so I was looking out for it. Either the QM letters don't state it, or it may be because we have a Birmingham postcode. I'll check the letter again tonight.

Hi Jazz-UK,

I am just checking the letters again! :-)

QM - "if you would like your daughter to attend QMHS and she has achieved a Score above,equal to or close to the lowest Score to be admitted in 2014, we strongly recommend you put QMHS on your list of preference."

WGHS - " Given DD's standardised score, we would strongly encourage you to include WGHS on your Local Authority Preference Form."

NGHS - " Given DD's standardised score, we would strongly encourage you to include WGHS on your Local Authority Preference Form."

WGHS also sent another letter of invitation to an OPEN EVENT!

I am happy with my DDs performance anyway, and we have told her so. Obviously, we will all have to wait for 1st MARCH until we know where our DDs are allocated. I am just curious because of this other parent saying that their letter stated that their DD has a place, and so I am wondering if we all get the same format of letter, or whether these letter are sent , dependent on the scores of our DDs..

Appreciate any facts from you all........just to figure out how this process is run by thee schools!! :-)

Thanks.......
rabbie burns

Post by rabbie burns »

All state school places are allocated by the local authority on March 1st 2015. No one can be offered a place at this stage because the preference forms have not yet gone to the local authority. This happens in October.
Buckbeak

Post by Buckbeak »

rabbie burns wrote:All state school places are allocated by the local authority on March 1st 2015. No one can be offered a place at this stage because the preference forms have not yet gone to the local authority. This happens in October.
That's what I was thinking rabbie burns...
walsallmum

Post by walsallmum »

as WGHS marks went up massively from 2012 to 2013 im thinking the same might happen here

does anyone know how dc are placed on the waiting list?
is it by score also?
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

The marks didn't go up massively for 2013 entry at WGHS. The school got it badly wrong by writing to parents with positions in the exam with the marks to parents.There are many children who come to sit the exam as a practice and have no intention of coming to any of the schools in the consortium. As a result many parents didn't apply and they had to admit girls down to the score 297.We won't know what effect if any it will have on the schools results until those girls sit there GCSEs in 2018.The entry points are now where the school would say a child will not struggle on entry.
Your dd Walsallmum when she gets her place at QMHS will be fine. As QMHS are saying in their letter a child under 309 would struggle and shouldn't apply.

Abraham Lincoln