Wow!!! Where do I start???

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Rash

Wow!!! Where do I start???

Post by Rash »

I haven't been on this site for many years now. My older kids went through the old system. I have a younger child in year 4 with SEN, haven't got a clue to where to start from. Any ideas/advise will be very much appreciated:)
Sally-Anne

Re: Wow!!! Where do I start???

Post by Sally-Anne »

Welcome back, Rash! :D

I would start with Patricia's thread here: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=30079" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rash

Post by Rash »

Thank you Sally-Anne, helpful as always:D
Last edited by Rash on Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Once you have read patricia's thread, spend the next year decorating your bedroom, making it perfect, a happy, tranquil place, exactly as you want it, with a big lock on the door.
You will have many, many, moments throughout the process when you need to retreat, lock and breath deeply. :D

In seriousness, year 4 = read, read, read together and times tables and number bonds back to front, upside down and inside out.
patricia

Post by patricia »

southbucks3 wrote:

In seriousness, year 4 = read, read, read together and times tables and number bonds back to front, upside down and inside out.
And learn to tell the time.

For the first time this year I had a number of students who found telling the time on an analogue watch difficult. I now instruct parents that before I receive them in Year 5 they must.

Make the child read out loud to an adult, discussing words and comprehension.

Quick mental recall of all 4 operations.

Tell the time on both digital and analogue, 12 and 24 hour time. Asking child what was the time 15 minutes ago. What will be the time in 22 minutes etc etc.

Patricia
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

For the first time this year I had a number of students who found telling the time on an analogue watch difficult. I now instruct parents that before I receive them in Year 5 they must.
I wonder if it is because Casio digital watches became cool and trendy for kids again last year Patricia, all my three have one now, but did thankfully learn with a childs training analogue watch. At just a few pounds the Casio watches are tempting, but stick to the teaching watches with the minute interval bands around the face until they have sussed analogue time.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

patricia wrote: For the first time this year I had a number of students who found telling the time on an analogue watch difficult.
I've encountered this too, and whilst it seems a bit :shock: at first it makes sense when you think about it. Telling the time is taught early in KS1, but many children don't actually need to apply what they've learnt as we the parents act as clockwatchers for them, getting them up in the morning and to school/bus stop and various activities on time. Everything at school goes by the bell and children rarely have to take responsibility for being in a certain place at a certain time, except possibly for individual music lessons. Even television programmes are on demand these days, there's no sense of "must come in from playing by 5 or I'll miss Crackerjack", etc. So by the time they've got to Y5 they've quite simply forgotten it all!

It's certainly a good idea to go over this topic before even embarking on 11+ work.
Marylou
Rash

Post by Rash »

Thank you all, for your very interesting and useful tips.
Patricia, she is good at telling times but I'll practice a bit more with her.
Last edited by Rash on Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mystery

Post by mystery »

:roll: You're not on your own. One of mine has just started year 4. What you describe is pretty much like our year 4 maths.

I think this is how some schools feel they should teach the new national curriculum for maths.

What NC level was your DD in maths at end of year 2 and end of year 3?

Do you mean they are just working on the 2x table? Back to year R/1/2 hey?

Which area / schools are you aiming to sit the test for? Have you found out what the test involves?
Rash

Post by Rash »

Hi mystery,
At the end of ks1 she obtained 2a in maths
Last edited by Rash on Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.