Preparation for Forest Entry Test January 2014

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Elena123

Preparation for Forest Entry Test January 2014

Post by Elena123 »

My DD is preparing to sit the Forest and Francis Holland Regents Park entry tests in January 15, She currently attends a state primary school and is having some maths coaching but no other tutoring. We have all the past papers and she is currently level 4b in Maths and Level 5c in literacy. I am now panicking that we need a tutor in order to practice timed papers and any NV reasoning that might come up in the maths. She is a very good reader and has a good vocabulary but I am aware that the prep school children will be way ahead in their preparation for the tests. Can this be done without a tutor or does anyone know if a tutor that might be interested in helping her for the next three months? (Islington/stoke Newington area) Many thanks, :)
fairyelephant

Re: Preparation for Forest Entry Test January 2014

Post by fairyelephant »

Hi Elena - can you explain what you mean by NV reasoning, I don't know about Forest but the North London consortium don't have any Non verbal reasoning in the maths papers - have you downloaded them to go through? You will need to work out if your DD has any gaps in her knowledge that need to be filled in order for her to do the papers.

I think that it is possible to prepare your DD by careful research and doing past papers if you are happy to put in the effort. Most primary school entrants will have had a tutor I would guess, although these differ hugely in terms of what they know and how much they add so make sure if you hire one that they know these schools and what needs to be taught.

Good luck. This forum is packed with knowledge and support. Let us know how you get on.
Elena123

Post by Elena123 »

Many thanks for your response. I have reviewed some of the North London GS Consortium papers and it looks as though there is some non-verbal reasoning type questions in the maths paper or at least the sorts of questions that wouldn't be taught as part of the State School curriculum. I am looking for a tutor at the moment but its not easy as we are coming to this very late in the day. :D Thanks again for your advice.
aai72

Post by aai72 »

Hi Elena,
I dont know about Francis holland school but NLCS maths paper has some questions, which do look like NVR but in reality those are algebra questions. There are some figures in the paper but those are not NVR questions.
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

Neither school tests on NVR - the maths papers have questions which might look like NVR but are solved using mathematical ideas
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

If I remember correct, some papers have cubes and nets questions (3D NVR - CEM style).
HotCrossBun

Post by HotCrossBun »

Forest gave out sample tests on their open day last Saturday. Why don't you contact them and ask for a copy? Or, better yet, go to their open morning on October 4th. You can pick up a sample test and ask questions.

http://www.forest.org.uk/girls-school/v ... on-morning" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;