LiveMaths/MathsNet anyone?

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mike1880

LiveMaths/MathsNet anyone?

Post by mike1880 »

Has anyone got any knowledge/experience of these sites (for both GCSE and AS/A-level)? Or any others whether free or accessible from a home subscription? It wouldn't do either of our two any harm to have some extra resources for Maths, both are professing ignorance of MyMaths which may or may not be true. (I have had more than enough dealings with both schools about various matters in the last 12 months BTW, I have absolutely no appetite for starting yet another conversation with either so have no intention of approaching them to clarify.)

Mike
scary mum

Re: LiveMaths/MathsNet anyone?

Post by scary mum »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =2&t=11016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This might help. If you say what schools, people will be able to tell you if they are using mymaths. If they were they would presumably be having homework set on it, it's not just an extra, but is used for homework (at least at the 2 schools I have known use it).
scary mum
Y

Post by Y »

My two both hated MyMaths. It was full of bugs. May have improved by now, though.
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

Do you want questions or explanations? We like stuckonhomework which is a series of short DVDs for all sorts of topics, presented by an irritating woman with swingy hair and a sickly smile, but DD understands what she is explaining. You can sign up for free for KS3 and then either pay for online access for GCSE or A level, or buy a CDrom, which we did with our tesco points as it will last us longer that the year's subscription. The questions section is not so brilliant, so best for teaching rather than practising.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

http://www.conquermaths.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a free trial for two weeks. A level Core 1-4 now covered too.

Use it with the revision guide like CGP for the exam board and spec they are doing. Difference between CM and SOH is that you see the tutor in the latter and it is just a voice over on a whiteboard in conquermaths by some Aus guy.

My daughter hates my mymaths too Y.
Impossible is Nothing.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There are free websites even for A level .... http://www.examsolutions.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If the school subscribes to Mymaths then it is good but you do need to write down your solutions as well as answering online to get the best use of it at A level; we've not had any issues with it.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

I found examsolutions immensely helpful, so did DS1 after four years of prompting, as always to little too late.

The quality and breadth, In my non-expert but desperate parent opinion, of examsols is outstanding.

It is all free I've made two donations and am overdue a third. With two more DCs to follow.

The author's voice over and step by step by step (he does the little steps too) are comprehensive.

Be careful it is hypnotic, soporific and enchanting. Maths made easy and interesting. :lol:
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Hi Mike,

At your DS' school, Mathspace is being introduced from at least year 9 and I guess certainly GCSE years (I do not know for lower years. According to waht I have heard, they were doing some trials last year with some groups of boys in year 9 and they preferred Mathspace for several reasons and the school is paying for it though it is more expensive than Mymaths). Maybe they do it for A-level too? Does it exist at that level?

Check with your son if he hasn't had any infomration yet. My DS' maths teacher talked to her class about it just this morning, though other classes have their password for already a few days.

I wouldn't hesitate to contact Mr R. (the head of maths) , as he is frankly a wonderful person, teacher, leader, educator, role model, etc. He is one of the teachers at the school whom I have the most respect for!! (though it is true there are many teachers I do not know yet.).

Good luck to your DS for his A levels! wink
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Thanks all, I think we'll give examsolutions a try.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now