Prep School advice

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
confusedmummy12345

Prep School advice

Post by confusedmummy12345 »

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can give us a little guidance/advice.
We are in the process of re-locating from the south to Trafford. Have two kids, elder one is in Y3. They currently attend a lovely little prep school here, and we're going to be applying for the Trafford Grammar schools ( In about 3/4 years).
We are looking for schools for them to attend fm Sept 2015. Does anyone have any experience of the Forest park School in Sale, Bowdon prep and/or Abbotsford in Urmston?

also, is Lymm counted as an out of catchment area for Sale Grammar or AGSG?

Many thanks
a confused mum
TIDDLYMUM

Re: Prep School advice

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Lymm would be out of area for Sale, but for a girl at AGGS i think you would be ok as the catchment is distance rather than postcodes.

For preps have you looked at Altrincham for boys, and Hale prep as well. don't know too much about the ones you mention except Bowdon which i believe has a very good pass for grammar.

there are also two RC Preps attached to the two RC Grammar if thats relevant.
confusedmummy12345

Thank you for your reply. I have two girls, and we not RC, so presuming those schools don't apply to us.
Thanks again.
onthebrink

Post by onthebrink »

I have had three daughters through Bowdon Prep and although the school has expanded hugely over the last few years, it still is a lovely place for girls. Hale Prep is also very good (coed) and has a good pass rate for AGGSand AGSB. 2 of my daughters go to AGGS and we live in Lymm, although as more and more girls take the exam, I predict the distance from which girls will be accepted will decrease and decrease....last year it went to about 5.7 miles (as the crow flies). This year the rumours are that over 2000 girls took the exam, so with it's increasing reputation pulling people in from far and wide, I imagine eventually you will have to live much nearer than 5 miles. However, Lymm has an excellent High School, (with a superhead currently at it's helm) and so is a great free alternative should your dd's not be successful in the grammar school exams
workerbee

Post by workerbee »

If you look at the map (As the crow Flies) the simple rule is anyone who lives in Lymm and passes the exam gets a place. That's because the furthest out Lymm can go is about 5.1/5.2 miles. It should give those who have girls to educate food for thought, you don't always have to pay inflated Bowden/Hale house prices to be within catchment. I believe that the cut off of 5.7 miles is likely to stay give or take .1 of a mile year on year. Simply, at 5.7 miles you hit the conurbations of Knutsford and Wilmslow or at least the start of! and this fills the final few places.

My experience of AGGS for this year 7's is the shear volume of non prep primary school kids from every corner of the 5.7 mile radius. Saying this they are all exceptionally bright.
onthebrink

Post by onthebrink »

I know of families who are moving from Lymm (and infact Knutsford and Sale) to Altrincham in order to ensure a place, so if that became more normal, then ofcourse the radius to which the school takes from is going to shrink. Even six years ago, when my eldest daughter passed, the head of Bowdon Prep was very cautious in her optimism to secure a place. I agree that it won't shrink dramatically, but it is shrinking. Not sure it would be fair to say that living in Lymm is a dead cert for a place....as we don't honestly know.
onthebrink

Post by onthebrink »

Also worth bearing in mind is that all of the Altrincham/Bowdon/Hale preps now run their own summer schools, and BPS is an expanding school...so where it was 30 in a year (6 or so years ago)...(in 2 classes)...there are much bigger year groups moving up the schools so I could honestly see there being 60 + taking the exam just from one prep school. The majority of girls from BPS live far nearer than Lymm. Times are changing...and as the school continues to stay at the top of the league tables, more and more people want in.

To balance this, I would agree that anyone in Lymm (to date) who has passed...has been offered a place (knew someone at 5.6 miles in Grappenhall who wasn't though). And the boys school is another matter entirely!!!!!!!
enema

Post by enema »

The admissions boundary is reducing each year for AGSG. Was less than 5.6 miles for this year's intake.
onthebrink

Post by onthebrink »

but as I said earlier, the non - gram. alternatives are very good in Lymm. Sorry if this confuses the issue.
confusedmummy12345

Thank you all for this invaluable advice. We're up this weekend, just had a drive round timperely and sale. As a back up, not sure whether Wellington school or Ashton on Mersey would be better (not sure we'd be able to afford private all the way through, maybe 6th form). So many decisions but thank you again for taking the time to reply.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now