Starting DIY preparation for 2015 exams

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Kace

Starting DIY preparation for 2015 exams

Post by Kace »

So ds has started at SHSB and has loved his first two days! Dd2 starts Foundation next week, and Dd1 is now in Year 5 and the time has come to get serious about our 11+ preparations...
Still feeling a bit unsure about how best to prepare for the new exam format - how much VR, how much NVR, etc. The current plan is that every week between now and Christmas she does 20 mins maths, 20 mins English, 20 mins VR, 20 mins NVR and 20 mins creative writing - she can decide when to do what as long as she fits in the five sessions each week. The idea is that we can see which areas need revision/working on/learning from scratch (I'd forgotten about orders of rotation until this week's maths problems - ugh!).
Can anyone whose dc is sitting this year's exam recommend any materials or would you be willing to share how you have been preparing for these new exams?
fausto

Re: Starting DIY preparation for 2015 exams

Post by fausto »

Hi Kace, I have been in total denial, like you I had a DS start at CRGS a few weeks ago and is so very happy. Now I have to turn to DS2 who is a totally different child and has started some weekly group tutoring ( we didn't tutor DS1 as he just worked well at home, whereas DS2 doesn't )

English will be the real strength they will need though, so you need to focus on that, reading, learning words, creative writing and so on. I would suggest that only 20 mins of maths isn't enough, they do really need to know the KS2 maths syllabus back to front so I would up that a bit, unless she is already very strong.

I would suggest you add in a good words list to this, that you add to every week, perhaps it becomes "home spellings" as well. Do use apps as well, DS2 responds totally differently to apps so am trying those as well.

I doubt anyone can really answer your question about how to prepare for these new exams, thats why they bought them in I would suggest. As long as you're working together and enjoying it then you are on the right track.
Kace

Post by Kace »

Thank you, Fausto.
Dd1 is very good at English...although I was slightly concerned at the three pieces of creative writing she did last week ("just for fun") that were all about death ("I find death easiest to write about" - oh dear!). I pointed out that she may want to have a few other back-up topics ready for the exams :wink:
I have already realised that we are going to have to up the maths a little - she isn't a natural at maths (which is a worry because I'm not either! Ds just got on with the maths on his own really without needing much input...).
Are there any apps you can recommend?
Nikkibeak

Post by Nikkibeak »

I found the Bond books really good for starting with the maths and then moved on to the GL Assessments ones.
Manana

Post by Manana »

We started with the age-appropriate Bond books for maths/comprehension and then did various squillion bits of creative writing. Half way through year 5, we then started working our way through all the past 4 thousand CSSE papers.
fausto

Post by fausto »

Kace - I shall PM you as not allowed to talk about certain names on this forum and can never remember which I can, and can't !

I like the "death" topic, my DS2 has a rather similar take on creative writing as well.

I went through all our books last night, so much Susan Daughtrey (made me want to sob at the thought of doing that again !).. Bonds, the KS2 round up books and so on. I really am a little lost as to where to focus his attention but will just keep plodding on.
Kace

Post by Kace »

Thanks, Fausto. I replied to your PM, but have no idea if I did so correctly or not.

All Ds's 11+ papers are currently in a large plastic bag that I dip into to pull things out for dd1. I really need to set aside some time and sort through it all. I think the main difference for me at the moment is working on NVR, which we didn't really go through at all two years ago, and frustration at dd1's lack of speed when it comes to mental calculation...

And thank you, Manana and Nikkibeak. I have to keep reminding myself (and trying to believe!) that there is still plenty of time to consolidate the basics before hitting the practice papers later on in the school year...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now