Important News

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Amber

Important News

Post by Amber »

Ok so I hooked you in with the title... :P

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gl ... e-29407943" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just had to share this. I love the idea that there is a Roundabout Appreciation Society and particularly enjoyed the quote, 'there's nothing more expressive than a roundabout'.

Time for all you roundabout lovers out there to get preparing for next year's contest - or failing that it seems you can order the calendar of traffic islands for that difficult to buy for husband or father at Christmas. :D
Stroller

Re: Important News

Post by Stroller »

Amber wrote:Ok so I hooked you in with the title... :P
Somewhat circuitously! :-)

Not alone is our nearest mega roundabout far from aesthetically pleasing, it's terrifying.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

DH began his medical career on the Isle of Thanet, at the time we suspected the Roundabout Capital of the UK.

More recently, though, a roundabout on the A13, which used unconscious of a central 'round' with several 'satellites', has been 'simplified', with part of it replaced by an elevated section. I rather mourn its passing, as I felt enormous pride every time a visitor remarked on how useful my directions for navigating it had been :lol:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Our youngest boy has been giving roundabouts scores out of ten since we drove to France when he was very little. Scores relate to everything from roundness, to flowers, to originality to how tidy they are or whether they are wildlife gardens.
Brussels has amazing roundabouts, they help to navigate as well, huge fountains, statues, copper crocodiles and frogs playing instruments, pictures made with sedums, there is a surprise at nearly every one!
For me though, the best show offs are France during the tour de France...amazing, bright, cheerful and so neat, all sponsored of course. I also love newly built roundabouts that are liberally covered in wild poppies and flowers where the top soil has been disturbed.
Dh used to hitch hike with a friend during his mis-spent teenage summers, they can list the roundabouts they have camped on en-route to sunny cornwall or Dorset. :D
Amber

Post by Amber »

Once many years ago when we got off a redeye flight in Miami and were driving in pitch black on cruise control all the way over to the Gulf Coast, OH drove straight across a roundabout at the entrance to the town we were staying in. They are so unusual in the US (there may be reasons for this which I won't go into here) and he wasn't expecting it at all. It was all planted up with green and pretty things, we discovered later, and I was worried for days that the police would come and find us by the tyre tracks we had left right across it.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Blooming good job dh wasn't camping on that one! :wink:
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Amber wrote:Once many years ago when we got off a redeye flight in Miami and were driving in pitch black on cruise control all the way over to the Gulf Coast, OH drove straight across a roundabout at the entrance to the town we were staying in. They are so unusual in the US (there may be reasons for this which I won't go into here) and he wasn't expecting it at all. It was all planted up with green and pretty things, we discovered later, and I was worried for days that the police would come and find us by the tyre tracks we had left right across it.
Have to say I feel for Americans driving here. After a long haul flights, to pick up an unfamiliar car at the airport which is a manual (and therefore perhaps unfamiliar also), drive on the left hand side of the road around the sometimes narrow, sometimes chaotic routes from our airports can't be easy. We have the same in reverse of course, but much easier in an automatic and with wider roads.

Ref the roundabout, whenever I drive past it I am always impressed. It's a worthy winner (all right, perhaps I'm biased).

As an aside, I'm not sure I would like to be stuck next to someone from the Roundabout Appreciation Association for any length of time!
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I don't like the mini roundabouts that look like you can cut straight across and then you realise at the last minute when you are soaring through the sky , it wasn't as flat as you first thought.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Roundabouts? In my family we call them islands..... Drives DH round the bend! :lol:
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

fairyelephant wrote:Roundabouts? In my family we call them islands..... Drives DH round the bend! :lol:
We call them islands too - always assumed it was a Brummy thing ...
Love the winning island too - drove round it when we went to the battle this year and we all thought it was fab :D

JD