Quick question re books being taken

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
amfnc

Quick question re books being taken

Post by amfnc »

Hi there, I'm new to the forum so I'm sorry if this has already been asked. Some books were taken today from my son's class, not all just a handful, what does this mean exactly? Does it mean these children have narrowly failed and that the school are defo going to appeal? or does it mean the school is thinking about appealling? Thanks in advance :)
relaxedMum77

Re: Quick question re books being taken

Post by relaxedMum77 »

Our school always take the books of all the children who sat the 11 plus, just so the kids and parents cannot speculate with regards to who they are appealing for!! I suppose every school/Head works differently.. but our school is very strict on appeals: will only appeal for kids who have always been top set/SATS high level 5's etc... not the middle band kids who were possibly heavily tutored for 11 plus, level 4 type.
amfnc

Post by amfnc »

Thanks for your response. So if books have been taken (I think 4) it means that those children have failed but I'm assuming by only a point or two? Or can an appeal be made regardless on how many points short the child is? Are success rates for HT appeals high? It's my first time round with all of this, thanks again for any info! :)
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

If a school thinks that the child is suitable for grammar and may just have had a bad day, then the Head can appeal, it will of course depend on each school and its headteacher and the children. Some schools take the books of all children who took the test, some just specific children and some take all books. Books are often taken by subject leaders (eg numeracy, literacy) so the fact that books have beentaken isn't solely because of Kent test.

If the headteachers appealis not succesful then you also have a right to appeal after you hvae received the results.
Midas

Post by Midas »

So in our school numeracy books were taken on Friday, returned by Monday and Literacy books taken yesterday. Just for the same 3 children.What can this possibly mean?
Why have they returned the numeracy books. Year 5 books were sent home last term.
relaxedMum77

Post by relaxedMum77 »

From what i've heard most HT appeals are successful as they ONLY appeal for the really bright kids that they view have just had a bad day on the day of the test. It's usually regardless of how many marks they failed by as its a child they believe should be at Grammar. 4 sounds a lot to be appealing for though...usually its 1 or 2..?..
anotherworriedmum

Post by anotherworriedmum »

In our school they have never had a successful HT appeal in all the years I have been involved in the school, I don't know if that is just because our HT is not very good at them though!
MerlinFromCamelot

Post by MerlinFromCamelot »

Same here at DD's primary there has never been a successful HT appeal.. Known one DC who missed with 1 mark and had some good level 5s at the end of year 5. Still both HT and parents appeal failed. :shock:
relaxedMum77

Post by relaxedMum77 »

anotherworriedmum wrote:In our school they have never had a successful HT appeal in all the years I have been involved in the school, I don't know if that is just because our HT is not very good at them though!
In our school the HT appeal has always been successful. So i'm guessing it depends on the level of previous work the school is able to supply. I have heard that some teachers/school give out level 5's when in reality the work is a level 4...our school are SO strict.. and unless work is a high level 5A...a child is given a 4. So my only guess is, that the level of work at ours handed in for appeal is of a really high standard..?
confusedmum.com

Post by confusedmum.com »

My understanding, from Peter (from the site who can’t be named - but who does do an awful lot of research and providing of information) says that it can depend upon where you are in Kent on how successful HT appeals are. East Kent seems to have a much better record of successful HT appeals but West Kent have more high scores in the test due to more children being coached for the higher number of super selectives in that part of the county but the primary schools have a lower success rate at HT appeal.

I am may be wrong and I am sure someone (in fact possibly Peter as he does check in here from time to time) may be able to provide much better info.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now