Moving into Area - Theoretical Question

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KenR

Moving into Area - Theoretical Question

Post by KenR »

For my interest - can someone that understands the Bucks admission process answer a theoretical question?

When parents move into the Bucks area, whats the Bucks process and rules for in year admissions to Bucks grammars for pupils that have passed the 11+ entrance exam for other regions? Do Bucks grammars accept the 11+ test score for other regions (e.g. Birmingham CEM) or do they insist on either a Bucks re-test or other school specific entrance exams?

or does it depend on the particular timing and scenario viz:-

1. Scenario-1 - parents move into the region, after the year-6 child has passed the Birmingham consortium 11+ (with say a high score) but before the National allocation day.
2. Scenario-2 - parents move into the region, after the year-6 child has passed the Birmingham consortium 11+ and been offered a place at say KE five ways grammar and also after the National allocation day (but before the Year-7 start of term)
3. Scenario- 3 - parents move into the region, after the child has passed the Birmingham 11+ and been offered a place and started at say KE five ways grammar but sometime during Year-7.

Recent posts suggest that those moving into the area in these scenarios may not get admission to any of the grammars, but doesn't Bucks have obligations under the fair access protocols.

Interested to understand how Bucks handles this.

For info, Birmingham KE schools are very reasonable regarding parents moving into the Birmingham area - but it may involve some form of retest if the there is not clear evidence of ability
Guest55

Re: Moving into Area - Theoretical Question

Post by Guest55 »

No other 11+ qualification is accepted. Anyone moving to Bucks has to sit the Bucks Transfer Test and qualify.

If your child is in are in Year 7/8 they sit the late transfer test for the school they are interested in.

In KS4 each school has its own process.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Recent posts suggest that those moving into the area in these scenarios may not get admission to any of the grammars, but doesn't Bucks have obligations under the fair access protocols.
Ken, I've never seen a Fair Access Protocol that specifically mentions selective schools.

FAPs were primarily designed for "vulnerable children" without a school place, as the following shows:
This protocol covers strategies for ensuring the admission of :
1. Looked-after children
2. Permanently excluded children
3. Children who require reintegration into mainstream school, children with no school place and children faced with barriers to education. These are:
• Children who are currently out of education and require reintegration back to mainstream (for example, children in the PRU, children who have been absent from school for over half a term and children who have been out of school for medical reasons)
• Children with no school place (for example, refugees and asylum seekers, homeless and refuge accommodated children, children who have moved into area after the normal admissions round)
• Children with barriers to education (for example children with special educational needs but no statement, children with disabilities, young carers, children who have committed offences, children of traveller families)
As you can see, "children who have moved into area after the normal admissions round" gets a mention, but there's no guarantee about the type of school to be allocated (and I suspect Bucks would argue anyway that their non-selective schools can cater for the full ability range).

ETA:
Unless it's changed with the academies, I think qualified children who are resident in Bucks have always been found a grammar school place (at the normal point of entry).
Etienne
KenR

Post by KenR »

Interesting - it's just that some Bucks selective schools (Wycombe High School for example) claim to comply with the Bucks Fair Access Protocol for in-year admissions, but presumably (by implication) don't follow the Fair Access Protocol for Year-7 admissions as they have a residency requirement based on the 1st Oct!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Not sure I follow, Ken. The residency requirement would be part of the normal admission arrangements.

FAP allocations are not part of the normal admission arrangements.
In order for the protocol to be successful:
• Schools and the LA will abide by the “collective agreement”
All schools will take part
• Schools will continue to admit local pupils who apply for an available
place, under normal admission arrangements
• Schools cannot say they are oversubscribed if they are asked to admit
a pupil under the protocol, and vulnerable children will be given priority
for admission over any others on a waiting list or awaiting appeal
• Schools must respond immediately to requests for admission so that
the admission of the pupil is not unduly delayed.
• All admission authorities should follow best practice to ensure
compliance with the admissions code by showing how they can take a
share of the responsibility for meeting the needs of vulnerable children.
• Wherever possible, decisions on a placement will take account of a
pupil’s expressed religious affiliation.
Etienne
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

How does the system work if a DC(parents) moves within bucks.

Example, Year 7 DC at SWBGS. Parents have to move to say Amersham after first two terms of Year 7. Nearest school Dr. Challoners. Will the DC have to wait and do 12+ if the school has no vacancy ?
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

berks_mum wrote:How does the system work if a DC(parents) moves within bucks.

Example, Year 7 DC at SWBGS. Parents have to move to say Amersham after first two terms of Year 7. Nearest school Dr. Challoners. Will the DC have to wait and do 12+ if the school has no vacancy ?
Good question, I have often wondered that.
mum2016

Post by mum2016 »

Hi All,

We have recently moved from abroad and are living in Hertfordshire council. Chesham Grammar is very close to our house. My son is in Yr 6. We have request Bucks to allow my DS to sit in the Bucks 11+ exams. received a acknowledgement letter from them that they have received my application. Tried to call council for the exam dates but they say that late testing would be done in November. Am a bit confused as the last date for CAF is 31st Oct . How will I be able to fill a school for Bucks if I do not know the score of child. Will i just put his name down for the Chesham Grammar without knowing the score and let one choice get wasted or wait for results and apply again? So confused with the system. Can anyone help me please how I need to proceed.

Thanks
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Not very easily KenR :twisted:

Year 7 child can sit the transfer test and will then be allocated school according to available space and test results. The Grammar we were targetting would have taken DC but the other local one with the restrictive admission policy was full anyway. You will need proof of address or commitment to move into an address in the area in order to sit the test. It is stressful for both child and parent but can be done and is fair.

Primary fairly straightforward.

In year for Y11 is a nightmare due to individual schools having their own admission policies, curse of modern schooling :twisted: In our area I have found one school that will allow DC to sit a test for suitability. In regards to our two local schools both Grammar and Upper make the DC go back into Y10 regardless :roll:

The Y11 DC in question is undoubtedly Grammar ability as he had previously got a place at SS and although coming from abroad was following a very similar syllabus to GCSE, however as there is no room in Y10 at the local Grammar then Upper is the only option (thankfully it is a 'good' one).

Re Y12 entry then. Still working on that but if you do not have maths GCSE then our local Upper won't let you into 6th form never mind Grammar school entry. Neither will they let you redo Y11 to get the maths you would have to go back to Y10 which they won't allow because of age :twisted: .

Personally I think the whole thing is appalling and a month later I still have one DC without a school place and pinning all hopes on the Grammar that were at least prepared to test. Frankly hats off to them for having the only admission's policy that does not restrict freedom of movement. We can appeal for the Upper of course and if the Grammar option doesn't pan out then it will be our only course of action but time moving on and DC not in school and very bored and unsettled.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now