Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
madsystem

Sw herts open evenings/days Parmiters

Post by madsystem »

So what did anyone make of it tonight.
Clash meant not able to make.
Really liked when saw before but not able to consider unless ds does better in test than expect.
Any who prefer over boys?
We prefered mixed sex, if had option.
plantagenet

Re: Sw herts open evenings/days Parmiters

Post by plantagenet »

Just got back from Parmiters Open Evening and was rather surprised and disappointed. The learning environment was uninspiring, with unimaginative displays and very untidy areas. Moreover, the children were rather reticent and unenthusiastic compared with the ones we spoke to at Rickmansworth last night. Examples of last year's Y7 workbooks had chunks of work unmarked and teachers were not very friendly and welcoming. I spoke to the Chair of Govs and she did not seem to be able to talk about quality of teaching and just said "but look at the results"... mmm. This is our nearest school but we are having serious second thoughts about where we put it on our preference list.
AML

Post by AML »

wow you took the words right out of my mouth.. I walked away thinking lack of ambition no drive, kids were not inspiring. As per other schools they should have had a student speak. Very disappointed. Not to mention worn out facilities.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Sorry to hear that :( .

My two go to Parmiter's and were helping out this evening. They've never complained about the worn-out facilities. In fact, we've always thought they were rather good, especially when compared with the school I'm at now. Not all departments are equally strong, but I guess that's not so unusual. It's a pity the overall impression was one of disappointment as we've always been quite impressed when we've been to watch any sort of performance there. All I can say is both of mine are happy at school.

Not being defensive; just a little disappointed that you came away feeling like that. Hope your other visits go well.
allegory

Post by allegory »

You put the words into my mouth! More concerning to me was the science situation. Out of the 160 children only the top 60 get to do triple science at GCSE (which I understand is a prerequisite for many science professions - I am a bit ignorant about all the GCSE stuff, so correct me if I have this wrong)

So, of the 160 - 16 are local, 16 are music, 52 are selected and say the rest (84) are siblings. A lot of those other children will be superbright too. I estimate that there would be about 105 very able children chasing these triple science places.

So at Parmiters, you have to claw yourself into the top 5% to get in, then claw yourself into the top 3% to get triple science. No wonder the results are so good! At a local comprehensive, I imagine if you are in the top 15% you'd probably get offered triple science .

Have I got this wrong? I am beginning to wonder if I have been wasting our time with this 11+ stuff.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

With regard to the sciences, whether or not you did triple science at GCSE doesn't matter very much once you have done A levels - and most sixth forms I have come across acknowledge that not all schools offer triple science at all (our local 11-16 indie doesn't and their pupils still get post-16 places to do science As) so base their offer on double or triple results. That being said, I would still prefer a school where as many as possible are offered triple science - which was one one of the reasons why we decided that DD should take up the place in the top stream of her 'non-ranked allocation' partially-selective comprehensive when she failed the 11+ here.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
tofindout

Post by tofindout »

I too went to the Open Evening. I was impressed with one Y7 student tour guide and unimpressed with another Y8 tour guide who kept chewing her finger. The school asked the students who wanted to volunteer to help. So any student could be the tour guide, unlike some schools that selected prefects to be tour guides. I think the school should prepare their student tour guides more for such occassion given that they represent the school.
madsystem

Post by madsystem »

I think about third do triple science at ricky so sounds comparable. I know someone chose boys grammar over parmiters because they liked new labs etc at boys.
The double science gcse covers all three subjects and as others say should be ok for a levels in any science if good enough grade. Be interesting to hear from people in schools who know details re science. Do you need all three a levels for which sort of degrees, and which can do with relevant two science a levels.
tense

Post by tense »

Madsystem - do take the opportunity to visit the school again since you liked it previously - I think there are visits available during the school day over the next couple of weeks. Open evenings can be a bit chaotic :D We also preferred mixed.

I have two dc at the school & am really surprised by some of the comments though. I think the facilities are great - my yr13 decided against applying to Oxford because she was unimpressed with theirs! :shock: Those people wanting shiny & new should visit Bushey Academy. Looks amazing.

Allegory - I think the 'science situation' is pretty much the same everywhere, seems to be the way things are, I'd prefer more 'triple' too.
copella

Post by copella »

Just wanted to say, my DS is doing a level physics having done double science. The triple one means they cover a bit more of the three sciences and do an extra paper on each science. So instead of taking 6 exams they take 9. My DS has not struggled so far ( early days) having not completed the extra paper. He was not disadvantaged when he applied to sixth form.