The dreaded 11+ again!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
salsagirl07

The dreaded 11+ again!

Post by salsagirl07 »

Hi all,

I'm hoping that by joining this community that you will be able to quash my impending dread over the 11+, by posting this today ( on the day of the Calderdale 11+ exam for 2015 entry) you'll have guessed that my DS is not sitting it this year but next. He's currently in year 5 at school and is really keen to do the test as some of his peers are keen to go to up the grammar schools next year.

Any advise, on test papers, the exam itself would all be appreciated! I'm trying not to get too het up about it and pass on this to my son but it's such a stressful time especially when the schools local to us are not up to par!

Thanks in advance!
mitasol

Re: The dreaded 11+ again!

Post by mitasol »

Hi Salsagirl,

There is some information about the test here http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... re-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unless there are changes - The schools use GL Assessment for the Verbal Resoning test and there is a great thread by Patricia which should include everything you need. http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =3&t=30178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The maths paper is written by the school and so a variety of practice papers is probably a good idea.

Vocabulary which is essential for the VR paper is one of the most difficult areas to improve. Encouraging reading, word games and a dictionary are a good place to start. I would also recommend thoroughly learning the times tables for fast recall. This will help with the VR and the Maths.
salsagirl07

Post by salsagirl07 »

Thanks so much for your quick response Mitasol- much appreciated!
Why oh why do we get ourselves so stressed out about this??

I'll have a look at those links you have posted!

:D
Duran

Post by Duran »

mitasol wrote:Vocabulary which is essential for the VR paper is one of the most difficult areas to improve. Encouraging reading, word games and a dictionary are a good place to start. I would also recommend thoroughly learning the times tables for fast recall. This will help with the VR and the Maths.
This is great advice. I'd also suggest a tutor if you can afford it. We've had one this year and last who teaches in a group rather than individually which we like.

Also stay calm and try not to put pressure on the child. The kid will also feel any stress you have about it.

We had one son "pass" and go to Crossley Heath from last year's exam and one son sitting it this year with good pre-test results, so I feel your anxieties, but remember it's not the end of the world if they don't make it.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now