General selective secondary education strategy

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
WindowGlass

General selective secondary education strategy

Post by WindowGlass »

Hi

I was reading this Herts thread that mentioned DAO school's comp history and pop celebrity former pupils http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 18&t=39196 and wondered:
  • * About the strategy of having schools with "nodal" catchments
    * Rebellious anti-the-system celebrities who in later life send their children to elite private schools
On the former. Is that to promote integration across communities, or solely to provide some competitive alternative where stagnation or even perhaps no provision might exist?
If house price/letting increases as a result of the nodes in those areas, could the nodes be relocated because they no longer serve the local purpose?

Reading the University of Birmingham School thread, I couldn't help thinking of what the ramifications for every other school (even including the independents and grammars) could be if this non-selective school turns out truly outstanding results with its pupils in 5-7 years time.
Something of the conservative in me selfishly wants neither the game changed nor the apple-cart upset, but on the other hand this would be justice for many formerly poorly provided for children, and successful input into wider society.

On the latter. (not latte!) Money talks. Sometimes you have to have a part in the system to change it. Or, just the old conservatism surfaces.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now