Anyone else sit the Heckmondwike test??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
OCD87

Anyone else sit the Heckmondwike test??

Post by OCD87 »

I had to ask....is anyone else nervously awaiting their results next week? I feel utterly sick at the thought of that envelope dropping through the letterbox and the mad panic that will ensue if we haven't got in. You don't hear much about HGS on here or in general really; I feel as if I'm going through this on my own.
panicmum

Re: Anyone else sit the Heckmondwike test??

Post by panicmum »

Hi,welcome to the forum.
We are also waiting for the result for HGS.
You are not alone :D, I know how stressful this process can be,I'm so glad this is the last time for us.
Docb

Post by Docb »

My Son also sat the test. it is agonising waiting on the results for so long. We just want to know either way so he can get on with worrying about boy things (sport in general/arguing with his younger brother/can he go to out on his bike) rather than asking each evening if we will have the results on Tuesday/Wednesday.

Oh well, not long now I suppose.
OCD87

Post by OCD87 »

Thanks, it's good to find some of the other 800+ parents that must be in the same boat! Yep not long now. Eeeek! We've been preparing ourselves for a negative outcome and visiting the other local open evenings for the past couple of weeks but I wasn't blown away. Still holding onto that glimmer of hope! Are you in or out of catchment?
Docb

Post by Docb »

We are out of catchment, so if we do "get the nod" that our son has achieved the pass mark, it will be more worry as to how many places will be available after catchment etc. if they follow previous years and don't have an order of merit.

Not too sure we could stand the waiting until March to find out, a few people on here in the past have contacted the school to find out if their child was in or out, so I think we will end up ringing the school, if the result is positive......
Bigbirdcw

Post by Bigbirdcw »

Hi, we sat last year and are out of area.
Last year only 37 people from in area /siblings etc qualified, which left plenty of spaces for out of area children.

I thought it WAS based on merit order for the out of area children?

Anyway, if you get the successful letter, the deputy head is more than willing to give you more detail on your chances of getting in.

We were told a week after getting the results that if we put the school first on the list that we'd definitely be in.

How did your sons and daughters find the test this year? I have another daughter sitting next year and considering the change of exam this year was wondering how people found it.
Docb

Post by Docb »

I think it is still based on an order of merit, I understand that it isn't published, so you get a letter saying you have passed, but no order of merit, so you don't have an idea if you have a place or not, as more children can have passed than places available.

My Son thought the exam was OK, we had practiced the Durham style papers by CGP, and the exams were apparently very similar in style, if not the same split between the 2 papers.

He missed a couple on one of the VR sections, but managed to complete most of the other sections.
OCD87

Post by OCD87 »

We found the CEM style test much more difficult. I think the earlier you can start prepping for it, the better. Which is a shame if it is meant to level the playing field because the amount of knowledge it expects a ten year old to possess is ridiculous. We have come from a brilliant school and DS1 is very bright and sees a tutor every week and he could still only manage 49-72% on practice tests. It's made me worry about where the pass mark will be set.....and we are in catchment! DS1 did say the actual test was most like the Bond practice papers that we bought so I hope that helps.
panicmum

Post by panicmum »

Results are out!
Good news here, reached the required standard.
Good luck to all DD's DS's.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Congratulations panicmum!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now