Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sunnyboy

Views on mitigation for a 116 and 120 mark

Post by Sunnyboy »

Hi

Great website ! My child has just been pipped by one point :(

He is predicted 5's in all SATS and has very strong headmaster support.

We have been going through the wringer as a family recently as his grandfather [to whom he is very close and has played a significant daily role] has terminal cancer. Whilst we shield him from the 'real truth' in the month leading up to the tests they were inevitably disturbed by a series of negative events [massive weight loss and severe jaundice due to liver complications]. We know that he is a sensitive soul and believe that he is emotionally fatigued as are the whole family.

We are convinced that it played a role in him lacking that little bit of extra focus during the crucial period.

Views welcome :roll:
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

If the school can confirm that his routine work has suffered this term, that would be persuasive evidence.

Difficult to maintain that your son was affected on just two particular days in October - unless of course you can show that things were significantly worse then.

The good news is that, with a score of 120, you don't need too much in the way of mitigating circumstances.

Regards
Etienne
Sunnyboy

views on mitigation for 116 and 120 mark

Post by Sunnyboy »

Thank you for your reply.
After explaining our family situation to the head, they were not surprised that our son had been given a 2 for Attitude to work. The head will be making reference to our situation in their report as they believe our son was subdued in the first half term. We believe that the 4/5 week period leading up to the tests contributed to just missing 121. These events could not have happened at a worse time. At the appeal do we need to give dates of hospitalisation etc? Not sure how much detail is required. We have a letter from GP and Surgeon confirming condition and events.
HJ

Post by HJ »

Dear sunnyboy

I think it is also worth saying at an appeal that serious illness at home puts an enormous pressure on children to perform well in the 11+ test. Your son is aware that his grandad is ill, but probably far more aware of how that is affecting his own parents, particularly the parent whose father is ill. Children often feel that it is somehow "their fault" and that they can make it better by doing well at something they know is important to their parents (i.e the 11+). I think this is why serious illness at home sometimes affects 11+ performance even if it doesn't affect normal schoolwork. Having said that it is difficult to prove......

Good luck, and as Etienne says you don't need much by way of mitigating circumstances at 120.
Sunnyboy

views on mitigation for a 116 and 120 mark

Post by Sunnyboy »

Dear HJ

Thank you for your reply. We had not thought about it from that perspective. It is really useful to hear other people's views and thoughts.

Thank you
Sunnyboy :roll:
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Sunnyboy

Although Etienne and HJ have already advised you fully, I wanted to wish you luck as well. 120/116 is an excellent starting point for an appeal and you are taking a very measured and fair approach to the mitigating circumstances, which I think a panel will appreciate.

I really hope that your appeal succeeds - please do let us know.

Sally-Anne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The head will be making reference to our situation in their report as they believe our son was subdued in the first half term. - Good!

At the appeal do we need to give dates of hospitalisation etc? - I would advise you to give the panel written evidence of the dates.

Not sure how much detail is required. We have a letter from GP and Surgeon confirming condition and events. - What you could do is take the details with you, and say "I have the following with me .... I didn't want to burden you with too much detail, but the evidence is available if you wish to see more."

HJ makes a good point. I'm just trying to look at things as a hardnosed panel member might!
It's a quasi-judicial system, so hard evidence is important .....
Etienne
Sunnyboy

Views on mitigation for 116 and 120 mark

Post by Sunnyboy »

Hello Sally-Anne

Thank you for your positive reply. We will definitely let you know the outcome.

Thank you

Sunnyboy :roll:
Sunnyboy

Post by Sunnyboy »

Dear Etienne

Thank you for your advice - it is very much appreciated. We have taken it on board and will follow it. Just polishing our covering letter now.

Thank you again

Sunnyboy
:roll:
Sunnyboy

Many thanks to this forum

Post by Sunnyboy »

Sally Anne / Etienne

Thanks you for all your support and advice - just heard that our appeal has been successful :D

Good luck to everyone else !!

:lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now