CAF advice please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Stressed?Moi?

CAF advice please

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Ds was ranked 185 for STR so a bit unlikely he would get a place (although they've gone down to between 199 to 230ish I think) so not sure what to do. He is desperate for STR (although, for various reasons I think Crypt would be better for him). So should we still put STR as first, Crypt second and comp third? If he didn't achieve STS would he then automatically be considered for Crypt? Cheers
DC17C

Re: CAF advice please

Post by DC17C »

Stressed?Moi? wrote:Ds was ranked 185 for STR so a bit unlikely he would get a place (although they've gone down to between 199 to 230ish I think) so not sure what to do. He is desperate for STR (although, for various reasons I think Crypt would be better for him). So should we still put STR as first, Crypt second and comp third? If he didn't achieve STS would he then automatically be considered for Crypt? Cheers
Hi Stressed Moi - Yes yes yes put your preferred school first and back up options in your true preferred order. Well done for "Young Stressed" I would think there is a reasonable chance of a place but have a great back up too.
Cup of tea

Post by Cup of tea »

Yes definitely put strs first. This means if full he will get crypt definitely. It also means that if boys continue to drop out after march your son will be on a 'waiting list' type of thing so he will then be offered a place. Good luck, keep everything crossed :)
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

Tommies have gone down to the following ranks in previous years, so I would feel optimistic with that ranking. But would put Crypt second as well, as a back up.

2014 - down to rank 223
2013 - down to rank 199
2012 - down to rank 235
2011 - down to rank 204
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Hi. Thanks all. Sounds like we shouldn't write STR yet then :D . Cupoftea, I hadn't realised it was guaranteed for Crypt if you qualified for STRs. I'm very happy we are in the position we're in.

As an aside, I wanted to thank all on the forum for the info and support - the journey was made easier because of you.
Poppycakes

Post by Poppycakes »

Hello everyone, I have been very naughty and watched from afar during the process (well done everyone for getting through it!!) but am so pleased that my DD has been ranked in the top 120 HSFG and top 114 for Ribston. I am however somewhat confused about the process re the CAF. Does this mean that if she puts her preference 1st she is likely to get a place or is it dependent on how many other girls 'move around' in terms of their preference. No doubt I am being slightly dense but would appreciate some advice if there is anyone out there who could clear things up! Thanks in advance and sorry for the silly question!!
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

If your DDs ranking is within the school admission number (sounds like it is for you) then she will get a place bariring the school falling down, aliens invading or a sudden upsurge in pupil premium or statemented DC all applying,the last two possibly more unlikely than the first sadly.

Movement is really only a concern for those who fall outside those lists.

So congratulations fill in your CAF with preferred school first and relax :)
Amber

Post by Amber »

Congratulations to your son.

If you as the parent think that Crypt would be the better school for him then surely that's a discussion you need to have with him before putting a different one first? He's only ten and ten-year olds don't necessarily have the maturity to know what is best for them in the long term. I am all for autonomy and independence when children get to sixth form choice but think at ten it ought to be the parent with the casting vote.

Just my view - good luck.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Cheers Amber, I do agree with what you say and I am famously fierce with both kids on the whole "ultimately we're the adult so unless you can come up with something spectacular, we have the ultimate say approach". It has caused many conflicts over the years but (usually) they see things our way in the end.

Our situation is that Dh is also very up for Tommies and they both absolutely loved it, it is an easy bus ride from us (Crypt would mean £1200 per annum for the once-a-day school bus in addition to this cost for his sister for the same bus to Ribston) and also, most of his friends have qualified for Tommies and he would love to stay with them. Therefore, on paper, it is pretty difficult to argue to the contrary and to just say "I preferred the feel of Crypt" - it seems a bit weak.

Of course, he may not qualify and this all be academic (no pun intended!).
Amber

Post by Amber »

Well as you know I have two boys at STRS and I think it is a fabulous school, so what can I say? Your son and OH have great instincts and I reckon he is a dead cert for a place if you wave the white flag and put it first. When my OH first visited Tommies he sent me a text saying he wished he could go there! :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now