Enquiry evenings - what are they for

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MmeOgg

Enquiry evenings - what are they for

Post by MmeOgg »

DD has done well in her CSSE 11+ so now we are thinking about the enquiry evenings. Only I've realised I have no idea what they are for. Can anyone shed any light please? What sort of info do the schools discuss? Should we be going to her 1st and 2nd choice schools? If we can't attend, will we be missing something vital.

Thank you.
Nikkibeak

Re: Enquiry evenings - what are they for

Post by Nikkibeak »

I think they give you more details about the school. Possibly a bit more in depth than previous visits.

Does anybody know how we book the KEGS or CRGS ones? It's got the dates on the CSSE guidance form but no info about them on the school's sites.
MmeOgg

Post by MmeOgg »

Thanks Nikkibeak. I guess that phoning the school is the best way?
I assume that DD is supposed to come with me? Or are they a parents-only event?
Nikkibeak

Post by Nikkibeak »

I think DD will be meant to go with you. They're meant as a final chance to help you choose your preferences so that must be geared up for the DC going as a lot of parents will let their DC have the choice
fausto

Post by fausto »

Information is power. Go to every enquiry evening you can. Trawl the school's website, if you can read "letters to parents" on the website then do. Look at the whole school in as many different ways that you can and not just from exam results. Ask questions on this wonderful forum, PM parents who did this last year, the year before and so on. Finally, if you are not willing to move and it will be a long journey on public transport for your DC, then take a morning off and go do that journey and see if you think DC could hack it.
Bikkigirl

Post by Bikkigirl »

We went through this last year DS and I went to all the ones for the grammars we liked, there was some useful information and at KEGS and SHSB a further opportunity for a tour and to talk to some teachers and kids. Definitely worth it to make a final decision, it feels different going when you have your result and know if you have a realistic chance of a place.
Danniburke

Post by Danniburke »

Just phoned SHSG and just needed to tell them DD's name and how many will be attending.

Does anyone know if CCHSG do the same kind of thing?

Thanks
pushymother

Post by pushymother »

Danniburke wrote:Just phoned SHSG and just needed to tell them DD's name and how many will be attending.

Does anyone know if CCHSG do the same kind of thing?

Thanks
I assume we will find that out on Thursday with CCHS score....

Just so people are aware. WHSG said parents only and SHSG said DD is invited as well.
FlightyRachel

Post by FlightyRachel »

I've just booked in to WHSB, but SHSB said just turn up after 2pm, and park on playground, they are meant to have an * by therm to show no appointment needed but it didn't print on the letter! :) Both said you can bring son, or not.
Morgan0210

Post by Morgan0210 »

Hiya,
Last year shsg confirmed that there was enough incatchment places for girls so if you selected shsg or whsg and your incatchment you were guaranteed a place at one of them! Definately worth going too x