Info for 2016 entrants

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sunshine 11

Info for 2016 entrants

Post by Sunshine 11 »

Hi

Rather usefully, SHS provided a bit more info in their letter than anyone else, I thought I would share with you so that you would find it useful:

966 girls sat the test in the county and they stated their are approx 400 places for girls across the county (I guess assuming a 50:50 split with Pates).

591 girls shared their results with SHS

It may be useful, if Marling put the same level of info in their letters for someone to post that perhaps ?

The results letters are quite clear whether children definitely have a place (top 120), are in the ranking or if not qualified, it really does just say "not qualified" if not, so no more agonising over being perhaps 1 mark off etc, which is quite a good idea I think.

I feel it was very well done this year, e-mails all seemed to go out at 3.30 pm which those at the top of the alphabet receiving theirs first. Good luck to the children sitting next year, I'll be back for DS in 2017 entry :D x
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
MountainDweller

Re: Info for 2016 entrants

Post by MountainDweller »

I shall attempt to cut and paste the relevant paragraphs from Marling...
MountainDweller

Post by MountainDweller »

I was delighted that your son took the Marling School entrance test on 13th September 2014 and I am pleased to give you the results of this test prior to your submission of the Common Application Form (CAF) to the Local Authority. There are approximately 400 places for boys in the Gloucestershire Grammar Schools and 970 boys sat the test in Gloucestershire. A total of 514 boys registered to share their results with Marling School and these form our overall cohort for consideration. Candidates must achieve a qualifying standard to be considered for a place at Marling School and there are 120 places at the school for Year 7 entry in September 2015.

{in this space is the name of the child and rank}

Please do not be concerned if your son’s rank appears to be low. The ranking is based on all boys who sat the test in all grammar schools across Gloucestershire and shared their results with us. It, therefore, includes a large number of students for whom Marling School is not a real preference and these students will not apply for a place. In recent years most students that qualified and placed Marling School as a preference were allocated a place by the Local Authority, up to and including the 282nd student in 2012, the 305th student in 2013 and the 291st student for our current Year 7s.
chumba

Post by chumba »

This is very useful information for next year and beyond, thank you.

Does anyone know the lowest ranking given out? For example, I think Pate's say ranking down to 180. Any idea what the other schools do?

We will be back for the test in 2016 and possibly 2019 :roll:
CrossCountryMum

Post by CrossCountryMum »

Dear Parent

Result for ***

Following the Grammar School Admission Test, taken in September, I am pleased to inform you that *** has achieved a qualifying standard and is ranked at position xx for Sir Thomas Rich’s.

Please do not be concerned if your son’s rank appears to be low. Our ranking is based on all students who sat the test in all grammar schools across Gloucestershire and chose to share their results with us. It therefore includes a number of students for whom Sir Thomas Rich’s is not a real preference and these students will not apply for a place.

In previous years, places have been allocated down to the following ranking:

2014 - Down to rank 223
2013 - Down to rank 199
2012 - Down to rank 235
2011 - Down to rank 204

Please be aware that this is not an offer of a place. You now need to complete your Common Application Form which must be returned to the Local Authority by 31 October 2014, who will then allocate places. All schools are equal ranked which means that if you are not successful at gaining a place at your first choice school, the highest ranked of your other preferences, for you which you fulfil the admission criteria, will be elevated to become your first choice. This is also sometimes referred to as your “first effective choice”.

Please be aware that achieving a qualifying standard does not guarantee a place.

A total of 776 boys chose to share their results with Sir Thomas Rich’s and these form our overall cohort for consideration. This means that the ranking above is not comparable with any other Grammar School.
CrossCountryMum

Can't C&P from Crypt's email.

Told DS ranked around 200s (they gave an actual figure).

729 boys shared with Crypt.

2014 - Down to rank 340
2013 - Down to rank 344
2012 - Down to rank 341
warden

Post by warden »

Sorry if slightly off topic, but does anyone know whether next year's cohort will be larger/smaller than average e.g. based on birth year? Thanks in advance for any insights.
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

Fab info for DS in 2017 for us. Thanks for sharing xx
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
CrossCountryMum

warden wrote:Sorry if slightly off topic, but does anyone know whether next year's cohort will be larger/smaller than average e.g. based on birth year? Thanks in advance for any insights.

School census for Gloucestershire May 2014 so last academic year.

Y5 - 6021 - the cohort that received results yesterday.
Y4 - 5986 - will take 11+ Sept 2015
Y3 - 6157 - bigger than this year and it only gets worse!

http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/extra ... =61112&p=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Obviously out of county students also apply so they will contribute. Wonder how many of the 1300 sharing with Pate's this year were in-county?
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Just looked up the bus to Tommies from Cheltenham. £1000+ per annum. :(
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now