115/114 11+ results

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sharone

115/114 11+ results

Post by sharone »

I'm new to this forum, but have found the comments posted so far very helpful. Our son did not pass the 11+ in Bucks, and we are considering appealing, but would appreciate all the advice we can get as we know from reading around that the chances of success with 115 are only around 25%

We've been to see our Headteacher who was also surprised that our son did not pass. She is willing to offer her full support as our son was ranked 5th out of 60, and the level of recommendation she has given is 1:1. On this basis, and his good SAT predictions, we are willing to try to appeal as we feel that our son would succeed at Grammar school. Our main concern is that we do not have any mitigating circumstances to explain why he did not achieve as we and the school had predicted. Personally we know that he was very anxious before the exams, and subequently has been suffering from headaches (especially leading up to getting the results). However, as we cannot "prove" that he was anxious, is it worth mentioning this point, or is it better to be honest and say that we can't explain why he did not do as well as anticipated? Both of us have strong academic backgrounds. Is it feasible to say that in hindsight our background may have put undue pressure on our son?

We're currently putting together our application, and any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Post by Guest »

Hi Sharone, As ive posted elsewhere we had a successful appeal 2 years ago with 109 and 116 and no mitigating circumstances, told the truth and let the academic speak for itself. I dont know how to post the relevant link but its in the Bucks Section under Failed by 2 points (another lady ive been 'talking to')

If you dont try you'll never know

good Luck

Sue

Post by Guest »

Thanks, that's helpful to know.
Sally-Anne

Re: 115/114 11+ results

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Sharon
sharone wrote:We've been to see our Headteacher who was also surprised that our son did not pass. She is willing to offer her full support as our son was ranked 5th out of 60, and the level of recommendation she has given is 1:1. On this basis, and his good SAT predictions, we are willing to try to appeal as we feel that our son would succeed at Grammar school.
Based on what you have written, I agree with you completely - the score of 115 is the only thing that suggests otherwise, and that is what an Appeal is for. The only questions I have are:

- what was his other score, or did he score 115 on both papers?
- is the Head's Order of Suitability usually quite reliable - did the great majority of those above and below him down to around No. 20 pass?
Our main concern is that we do not have any mitigating circumstances to explain why he did not achieve as we and the school had predicted. Personally we know that he was very anxious before the exams, and subequently has been suffering from headaches (especially leading up to getting the results). However, as we cannot "prove" that he was anxious, is it worth mentioning this point, or is it better to be honest and say that we can't explain why he did not do as well as anticipated?
I would go for the honest approach, as you have very strong supporting evidence. You are very likely to be asked at the Appeal if there was any reason he didn't perform on the day. I would reiterate that there were no specific factors, but say that obviously he was anxious to do well.
Both of us have strong academic backgrounds. Is it feasible to say that in hindsight our background may have put undue pressure on our son?
I wouldn't use this.

At first sight you have a very strong case on academic grounds, which is really why the Appeals process exists - to find the occasional child who, for whatever reason - didn't make it on the day, but has clearly got the ability to succeed in a GS. Sue is living proof that it can be the strongest sort of Appeal.

Good luck
Sally-Anne
sharone

Post by sharone »

Dear Sally-Anne

Thanks for your help. My son got 115 and then 114 in the second exam. As to our headteacher, my son's school has been without their headteacher for 4 terms now (and parents do not know if and when they will be coming back). Currently we have an acting head teacher, and as such I don't know what their record is in judging suitability. Is this likely to act against us? The school has been relatively unsettled with the children not knowing when their head teacher might be coming back.

I guess the best thing will be to ask the acting head teacher how they based their assessment, and find out my son's CAT scores.

Thanks again for your help
JJB

Be Warned

Post by JJB »

After an unsuccesful Bucks appeal last year we were told that the appeal board had been instructed that they had to be satisfied on academic suitability AND reasons for poor performance at VR.
Just prooving as we did academic suitability, was not enough. I paid for the appeal transcript and although all three pannelists agreed our daughter was academically suitable,the fact that we did not give a good enough reason for her scores was held against us by two of the three.
It seems that the appeal board do believe this cheap exam format does in some way indicate future academic performance. So please be warned and don't take anything for granted as it is still a numbers game.
sharone

Post by sharone »

Dear JJB

Thanks for your input. We are concerned that we don't have anything that we are aware of that can explain why our son didn't pass, despite all the evidence that he is more than capable and suitable for grammar. We're hoping that being honest rather than suggesting some weak arguement is the best approach, but we are more than aware that the odds are stacked against us. Hence, we're not letting our son know that we are appealing as we think he's been through enough.

Sharon
JJB

Post by JJB »

Dear Sharone
All the very best for your appeal. I think it makes the pannels job easier if you can proove both counts. I certainly regret not making a better case for my daughter as we now have the 12+ to contend with !
sharone

Post by sharone »

Dear JJB

Thanks for your kind wishes, it is all very stressful. As for the 12+, I may be back to explore that route (but hopefully not!)
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I think it makes the panel's job easier if you can prove both counts
- Yes!

To be honest, I don't think extenuating circumstances matter much with 2 x 120. "Nerves" will do.

The further below 121 you are, then the stronger your case needs to be, including extenuating circumstances.

It's just possible that you could succeed with a lower score and nothing more than "nerves". I'm thinking of cases where the academic evidence is so overwhelming that the 11+ results seem to make no sense. For example, this might include a series of high CAT VR scores, predicted 5a levels, and exceptionally strong support from a headteacher whose Order of Suitability is very, very accurate (and the child stands out as a blip).
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now