Kings SChool Grantham

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Hannahg

Kings SChool Grantham

Post by Hannahg »

Hi,

My son will be sitting the 11+ in September '14 and hoping to pass high enough for entry in to The kings School Grantham. I know the current Yr 7 boys who took their 11+ in Sept 2012 had a cut off score of 232, but wondered what the cut off score was for the boys who took the test last year and are starting this September (14). I just wondered how having an extra class in the intake year might have changed the cut off score?
Alex

Re: Kings SChool Grantham

Post by Alex »

I am afraid i don't know this one off hand but the school are helpful and I am sure they will tell you if you phone them; alternatively you could e-mail
schooladmissions@lincolnshire.gov.uk
as they will also hold this information.

Good luck for September.
Hannahg

Post by Hannahg »

Hi,

Just for anybodys info...

I finally recieved a reply from the admissions team who say for the boys starting in year 7 in Sept 2014 the 1st round of offers were given to scores over 223, however there were other children who scored lower that were accepted on appeal. The school admission number was 175 boys.

Clearly the extra class this year has lowered the cut of score considerably from the previous years.
samslack

Post by samslack »

Hi, just for your info I asked the Lincolnshire council for details under the freedom of information act last year and got the following response for boys taking the 11+ at Kings School Grantham for the years:2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 (in that order).

No. Taking Test: 257, 249, 227, 257, 246
No. 220+: 142, 161, 155, 160, 154
Offered Score: 225, 225, 229, 229, 223

I'm not sure where the 232 info came from but I know there are always a lot of rumours. I heard that all boys that passed were accepted last year but that is obviously not the case.

I hope your son passed, fortunately mine (and his friends) did with good enough scores that we can all be confident (as much as possible) of acceptance.
Hannahg

Post by Hannahg »

Thanks, that's really interesting, I only asked the admission team what the 2013 (starting sept 2014) boys cut off score was and they replied 223. However the 232 from the previous year (2012) was something another mother told me - so my fault for listening to rumour on that one!

My son did pass and scored 237,(122 VR & 115 NVR) so going on your info I feel a bit more confident that he will get his place.

Guess its just a long wait with fingers crossed until confirmation in March.
JimmyT

Post by JimmyT »

Hi, well done on your boys passing, mine did too, so he's one happy boy :-)

I asked the school today, about an indication of this years cut off scores or guaranteed score etc, and while they still can't give an answer, they did say this:

"I can tell you that the highest cut off in recent years has been 232, so this will give you some idea of the level that we are looking at."

I'd be very surprised if 237 didn't get a place!
samslack

Post by samslack »

Also bear in mind the intake is more this year again too which will help bring down the entry cut off. Whilst I am relieved to have the results, it will still be a nervous wait till March and I think that's the same for most parents irrespective of the score.
Alex

Post by Alex »

I think some of the confusion over entry scores is because two different figures are quoted without sometimes clarifying which they are:
One is the score of the last place offered on March 1st when places are first allocated
The other is the eventual entry score at the end of the admissions round.
The second can differ substantially from the first.
Hannahg

Post by Hannahg »

Yes I think looking at the two different pieces of information given, where I have been told 232 was the cut off score, It looks like that was in March for the 1st round of offers, I think after those places were either accepted or declined and then appeals had taken place the final cut off score was 223, which is obviously a lot lower. I think my sons 237 should be fine for 1st round offers, especially as there are more spaces available as of this year, so feel much better now I understand where all these different scores come from. The fact is I can analyse all the data and drive myself mad forever but until Match comes Ill still have a little worrying niggle in my head!

Can't believe I have to do this 2 more times with my other son and daughter... But I think it's worth it!! Fortunately my son really enjoyed doing 11+ practise and bizarrely thought the exam was "fun" (his words) so looks like it's just me that gets stressed!!haha!!