Calday

Post by Jan »

Hello,

Is it true Calday is undersubsribed?

Jan
wirral mum

calday

Post by wirral mum »

hiya, my son has got into calday, 1st choice, but two of his classmates have been offered places and they had calday as second choice. so it looks that way.
wirral mum

calday

Post by wirral mum »

hiya, my son has got into calday, 1st choice, but two of his classmates have been offered places and they had calday as second choice. so it looks that way.
jan

calday

Post by jan »

Hi,

Did they take the places, the children who had it as second choice?

Jan
wirral mum

calday

Post by wirral mum »

hi

i know one boy will take the place. i'm not sure about the other.
stranger

how can calday be undersubscribed

Post by stranger »

how can it be? i dont get it
calday parent

Post by calday parent »

As far as I am aware, Calday have always offered a place to boys that have passed the 11+ and have placed them 1st or 2nd. They want high ability children first and foremost. However, 1st choice preference will get the place if they are over subscribed {which doesn't appear to have been the case in recent years}.
Fiona/Jan

Calday

Post by Fiona/Jan »

Hello Calday parent,

Just because someone has past the 11+ does not mean they are of high ability, some children are coached to death to pass or if English is not there first language or they have dyslexia a verbal reasoning type exam does not allow these children to show their true ability!

I think the 11+ on the Wirral is fundamentally flawed, if the schools had to submit CAT scores as well as sitting the exam, it would be a much fairer system for all.

A friend of mine who is a teacher at a grammar school told me that she has a pupil who had 3 years of tutoring and passed the 11+ but had a maths Sat's level of 3! and she says this is not unusual.

Jan
Footymad

Post by Footymad »

Hi Jan,
Enjoyed the post!

By the way I couldn't agree more with what you said. :wink:

Footymad.
Fiona/Jan

Calsay

Post by Fiona/Jan »

Thank you Footymad!! :lol:

Jan