Boys vs Girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sunshine 11

Boys vs Girls

Post by Sunshine 11 »

Congrats to all the qualifiers, the results at our school have been very odd, only 1 top 120 to SH and 2 top 120 to Marling (only 3 boys sat) 2 girls on the list for SH.

Some of the girls who didn't qualify for anything though are much higher SATS levels than the boys who did qualify ??

At my friends school in Chelt 13 qualified and 11 of those were boys !

So are these just anomalies, or is the standard required for the boys to qualify lower than the girls or is the test more boy friendly ?.....

A good measure will be Pates to see if that fills with boys this year or have they kept it 50:50.

Interested as my DS sits next :)
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
Stressed?Moi?

Re: Boys vs Girls

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

There has been talk in the past of boys having to achieve lower pass marks than girls, but this is apparently a huge urban myth. In this day and age, there is absolutely no-one who would be mad enough to incur the wrath of the sex discrimination laws. For info, at my ds's school 11 entered and 2 didn't qualify (all boys), which left 3 boys and 6 girls so not true for us. Interesting stuff.
Last edited by Stressed?Moi? on Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

In the past Pates hasn't been a 50/50 split. I think they genuinely select the top scorers regardless of gender. Pretty sure it varies year from year. Re the standard to get a pass to any of the schools that will of course depend on how many boys v girls places are available across the county and how many boys sat the test v girls. I think the places has been discussed before so you might find the answer to that one if you trawl but Pates being co-ed means it is impossible to get an exact number on that one.
justbehappy

Post by justbehappy »

A lot more boys passed at our school too. Most expected, but a lot of the girls should have too - and didn't. I'll be really interested in Pates intake split as we were swaying towards Pates because of the mixed aspect. If there's a chance it could be 80% boys, then it's not really is it. :( (nothing against boys obviously :) )
Amber

Post by Amber »

At one point, about 5 years ago, Pates had a few very girl-heavy years. This was thought to reflect the more verbal nature of tests; and I gather that in order to redress that, the tests became a bit more maths-oriented. I understand that worked and brought it to about 50-50 but of course you can never do that as a form of standardisation or correction. The new tests are supposed to be gender neutral and there is no truth in the myth that boys need a lower pass mark. That would be outlawed immediately.
techiedad

Post by techiedad »

Out of my daughter's year and friends at other schools, only 1 girl got through - her - all the rest were boys.
bananabrain

Post by bananabrain »

In our school, I know of 10 girls and 5 boys who have passed. It has always been a brighter year of girls.
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

Trying to decide a plan of action for DS next based on experiences from this yr. options

1. Just get some workbooks and do it myself
2. Group tuition
3. 1:1 as DD had
4. An on line tutor

Based on this year what do you recommend ? Our qualifiers all had tutors. 1 did group. 1 had 3 tutors (one of each type) ! Rest had 1:1 so I'm confused ! Any suggestions....
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

Sunshine 11 wrote:Trying to decide a plan of action for DS next based on experiences from this yr. options

1. Just get some workbooks and do it myself
2. Group tuition
3. 1:1 as DD had
4. An on line tutor

Based on this year what do you recommend ? Our qualifiers all had tutors. 1 did group. 1 had 3 tutors (one of each type) ! Rest had 1:1 so I'm confused ! Any suggestions....
There are pros and cons for each, and it has to come down to what you feel will work for you and your DS. Some options cost a lot more than others, and they have varying demands on time and commitment. And none of them can offer a guarantee.

I used the CGP workbooks and practice tests with my DS this year, from about May, and he's qualified for Tommies. It was a pleasant surprise to me, I have to admit, as I had no certainty over how he would do, nothing to gauge it against, given it was different to the test his sister did 3 years ago.

I also used his CATS scores as a benchmark, so I could see which areas he was weakest in, and give him extra focus there. And we did about 30 mins once a week (when I could persuade him!). I did talk him into doing the CGP CEM practice papers, which were really valuable.

Maybe draw up the pros and cons for each option for you, and decide that way?

Good luck!
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

Thanks Weaver, our school have stopped doing CAT tests to save money which is a shame as would have been useful for DD.....
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now