Cheltenham to HSFG

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Debims

Cheltenham to HSFG

Post by Debims »

Hi there - delighted my DD has got a place at HSFG but now reality sets in - rather than send her to our nearest comp, which she could have walked to, we are sending her to Gloucester from Cheltenham. There is a bus service that stops very close to our house, and we are on the right side of Cheltenham to get to Denmark Road very easily, but of course the girls my DD will meet could come from anywhere. I'm wondering more about the social aspect of living in one town and going to school in another - even as close as Cheltenham and Gloucester are. Anyone with a similar situation, or already doing this?
Flash

Re: Cheltenham to HSFG

Post by Flash »

Hi Debims

Dd is in Year 7 at HSFG. She knew about 15 other girls from Cheltenham who were going but has made lots more friends who live in Cheltenham and Gloucester. :D
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

My neighbour, year 9 at Pates, said that she and her friends often just do weekday sleepovers now they've reached a sensible age and voluntarily go to bed at reasonable time on school nights.

We are similarly considering sending DS to Tommies from Cheltenham. The logistics are very quickly hitting home now the results in
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

Hi
DS is at Tommies and DD has got into HSFG. We do not use the school transport but the 94. The cost of the school transport would be prohibitive for us, especially now. We have found huge advantages to the 94 which is that DS can take part in after school clubs and then get home without relying on us. He has made several friends on the public bus as there are lots of boys and girls who use this service, and his friends are across several years. He has made friends at the bus stop as well as travelling.

DS big gripe is that he will have to accompany DD in September and probably her friends to start with whilst they settle in.

I also know from friends and my Guides that they make friends and meet up to go shopping and for sleepovers.
1moreyear!

Post by 1moreyear! »

Hi there debims big congrats for your daughter, likewise we live in cheltenham close to great comp so deciding on whether hsfg and the traveling will be all worth it. Would be good to know how many girls from cheltenham will be going, we do have a bus stop quite close. Frightened that all her friends will live so far away.
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

My daughter is at HSFG and knows plenty of girls who come across from Cheltenham on the 94. It's a much better bet than the school bus.
DebsB

Post by DebsB »

Weaver wrote:My daughter is at HSFG and knows plenty of girls who come across from Cheltenham on the 94. It's a much better bet than the school bus.
The 94 starts from the centre of Cheltenham, doesn't it? Are there any public buses that go to HSFG from Charlton Kings, or is it just the school bus?
fairweathergardener

Post by fairweathergardener »

Just the school bus to HSFG from Charlton Kings, unless you take a connecting bus to town and then out to Glos. the 94 is so much cheaper than Bennetts. Bennetts is very good though. Reliable service and the children seem to enjoy it. DD catches it about 7.30 and is home by 4.15 in the evening. We are in Charlton Kings.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now