STR or Crypt?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
christje

STR or Crypt?

Post by christje »

Trying to decide between Crypt and STR. Am I right in thinking that STR haven't had an Ofsted visit since 2007? I have always believed Tommies to be our preferred school but I've heard really good things about the Crypt lately. Confused!
Stressed?Moi?

Re: STR or Crypt?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Ds has qualified for both too so I know what you mean. To be honest, they are both brilliant schools and we will be happy with either. Geographically Tommies is closer to us so would be handy but if he doesn't qualify for it he will go on the bus to Crypt - less convenient but doable all the same. Both have good exam results, both do lots of sports and have good facilities. I'm confident that they will both bring out the best in him. Personally, I really liked Crypt - it's good reputation for pastoral care appeals to me a lot and I know three families with boys there who rave about it. I've heard glowing reports about Tommies too. We're going to both Open Days which hopefully will crystalise things. Not sure about ofsted sorry. I don't think they are very helpful so don't bother with them.
christje

Post by christje »

Even more confused now. Went on the Crypt open morning and really liked it. We may have to go back again this evening!!
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

I have a son at Crypt, I have many friends at tommies, we are all happy with the schools.

The music and drama are really outstanding at Crypt and drama is obligatory for years 7-9 which I think is important in terms of development in a personal sense. My son is a musician too so it was a natural choice. The sport there is excellent and they've recently had a sports only ofsted which said how fab it was.

They are pushed academically as much as they are at Tommies I think and the gifted and talented provision is very good.

But aren't we lucky - two such good schools in our city! Any questions please feel free to pm me.
christje

Post by christje »

Thank you neveragain* - I totally agree, having a choice of such good schools is a fantastic position to be in.
I was really impressed by the music department today and the facilities which they are building for science, engineering and robotics sound amazing!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Rare to hear a bad word about either - choose the one which is logistically easier for your family I would say. They aren't close together so one must make more geographical sense. We are a happy Tommies family here with two sons there, but I'm not going to sit here and say it's a 'better' school than Crypt - unless you know someone with experience of both that's too difficult I think.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Amber wrote:Rare to hear a bad word about either - choose the one which is logistically easier for your family I would say. They aren't close together so one must make more geographical sense. We are a happy Tommies family here with two sons there, but I'm not going to sit here and say it's a 'better' school than Crypt - unless you know someone with experience of both that's too difficult I think.
Got to agree with this as a happy "Crypt" mum- do take the journey into account I have had to do pick ups at various times because DC have become ill during the day. There may also be plenty of times where you need to do late pick ups for open evenings, rehearsals, performances and sporting events.
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

Totally agree. Go with the easiest.
christje

Post by christje »

Thanks for all the help. We have decided to go with Tommies 1st and Crypt 2nd. Tommies is only a very short bus ride away (or even cycle ride) whereas the Crypt would be two bus rides. Thinking about coming home in the winter when it's dark means Tommies is the more sensible option. I agree that they are both fantastic schools and I'm sure DS would be happy at either.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now