Travelling to Camp Hill Boys/Girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Jazz-UK

Travelling to Camp Hill Boys/Girls

Post by Jazz-UK »

Hi,

Does anyone have a child that travels to Camp Hill Boys or Girls, from North Birmingham (Handsworth/Handsworth Wood/Great Barr)? Is so, how is the journey? Does your son/daughter get fed up with the long bus ride etc?

Thanks in advance - Jazz
Bob1892

Re: Travelling to Camp Hill Boys/Girls

Post by Bob1892 »

I know someone who does this from handsworth wood and the child is desperately tired after 2.5 and occasionally 3 hours commute everyday. Wakes up just before 6am to get bus before 7. Gets home around 5.30. They wish they decided on Aston now but doesn't openly admit to this. Dps need to think carefully about this otherwise it could turn out a miserable 7 years. A lot of dps think the camp hill schools are the be all and end all but they certainly are not. FW, Aston, handsworth etc are just as good.
rabbie burns

Post by rabbie burns »

They are all great schools. Go to the one nearest you. The trip across Birmingham can be a nightmare, especially in winter in poor weather. Personally I don't get the camp hill thing. Good luck.
Jazz-UK

Post by Jazz-UK »

Thanks both, it does seem impractical, especially when Handsworth Girls is only 15mins drive away.

It would be interesting to know if universities or employers differentiate between Camp Hill and Handsworth Girls / Aston (hopefully for DS in 4 years)?
clearsky

Post by clearsky »

We have the same problem, we live between qm and Aston but wanted to consider BV or camp hill for Ds, however the distance is a major issue and I don't want ds to get too tired to do home work or not able to join any after school clubs which he is really looking forward to after the hard work with 11 plus. Does anyone have ds going to BV from North Birmingham, if so how does ur Ds travel there.
orianagirl

Post by orianagirl »

I would definitely choose one of the grammars closer to you if you have a choice. My DS attends Aston and my DD goes to Camp Hill. Both schools are excellent. However, my DS does face a journey of just under an hour a day and he gets tired which can effect his motivation when it comes to doing homework. Also The Green Bus service so far this year has been extremely erratic (for both DCs) to say the least. I think it has only been on time for DS about twice so far this term!!. Some days my DS doesn't get home until after 6pm and this impacts on out of school sporting and other activities such as scouts.

Choosing a school closer to home makes life so much easier for everyone. There really isn't much difference between any of the grammars. They are all excellent schools and at the end of the day if you are lucky enough to have a choice you have to choose the one that suits your DC (and you) the best.
WindowGlass

Post by WindowGlass »

WRT travel, in our house jury's still out.

We're still very motivated about school, such that distance is still almost no object.
DS did complain about heavy school bag early on, but isnow quite used to it.

Train is definitely better than bus, so from HW to CH metro or Hamstead mightbe useful, or even #11 then from Perry Barr perhaps?

There are very reasonable public transport options here in the West Midlands, VFM too.

Everyone has to way up cost, benefit, character, time; bjt we do have much choice of very good schools here.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

Echo all the above comments! DD really wanted Handsworth girls, preferred it to CHG but CHG is walking distance so we overruled her and persuaded her to go closer. She now accepts that extra travel would have made her miserable, especially as her siblings are schooled very close to home. DS1 has so much work to do now that he's hit the GCSE years, and I'm really grateful he's close to home as I can't imagine how difficult and tiring the extra time travelling would be on top of all he has to do.

You really need to consider what additional value the extra travel will give you. Is it because you are thinking of the "name" of the school (you mentioned future employers). Given that there are relatively few places in Grammars at all, I thought any Grammar would be viewed positively irrespective of which one it is.
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

Remember it could be an extra 2 hours travel per day. That's an extra 10 hours a week,390 hours a year. 2730 EXTRA hours commute over 7 years. An acquaintance of mine travelled from East birmingham to FW for 7 years and it was absolutely miserable for him. This was 20 years ago and it still rankles with him! Plus the traffic is a lot worse than it was 20 years ago.
All the KE schools have good exam results- future employers etc look at results more than schools I should think.
rabbie burns

Post by rabbie burns »

In terms of University entry I doubt if you want to do medicine or law at say Edinburgh they give a hoot which Birmingham Grammar School you went to. It about grades.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now