For parents whose Children commute from Kinsgton to Suttons

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
YoungSuccess

For parents whose Children commute from Kinsgton to Suttons

Post by YoungSuccess »

Ok, I think there were threads on this topic far down in this region's many threads, but that was probably last year or so.

Are there parents here whose DCs are commuting daily from Kingston (say from Cromwell bus station or along the route - Norbiton, New Malden ....) to any of the Sutton Grammars? If yes, to which GS and how is it going so far since start of term?

I kind of agree that Kingston to SGS is doable using the bus 213, I did some dummy runs and its doable. Not Ideal, but doable. But I think a parent did say that her son was traveling from Norbiton to Wallington using two buses, which must be quite an undertaking every day. I did the dummy runs to Wilsons by buses, that has to be almost unfeasible. Wallington was only a little better.

Could parents give us a fresh updates and perspective? Thank you.
tiffinboys

Re: For parents whose Children commute from Kinsgton to Sut

Post by tiffinboys »

Thogh the question is not for me, but here are my thoughts.

Many children from our area go to Nonsuch and few more to SGS. It's certainly do-able. With some discipline, Wallington Boys is also feasible using bus X26 (2outof3 could tell better).

I have seen few children going to Wilson's from Wimbledon - by tram to a point and then short run on bus. So if some one takes 10 minutes train to Wimbledon from Kingston/Norbiton/New Malden, then follow tram/bus route, Wilson's can be done as well, though best to relocate.
redstar

Post by redstar »

Yes.
To SGS on the X26 from Kingston. Takes about 50 minutes including the walk through Manor Park in Sutton from the bus stop to school.
It is a fast, straightforward route, but the buses are only every 30 minutes. Although the 213 is more frequent it takes a slower route and stops more often so we've found that the X26 works better.
So far this term the X26 has been cancelled one morning (and the next one would have meant a late arrival as would the 213). The emergency alternative was a train to Wimbledon and train to Sutton.
It is do-able and my boys are happy with it. Although the same X26 bus goes on to Wallington Boys too and is a simple route, it would mean an earlier start which we did not think would be worth the commute - I know of one boy who does it.
YoungSuccess

Post by YoungSuccess »

Thank you so much Redstar! Very very useful.

I thought of X26, but the early start put me off a bit, but now that you explained, makes sense. With a cancellation of a bus and students arriving late, will the school mark it against them (i.e attendance etc ) or they excuse it?

Good to have parents who are willing to share their experiences. Thank you.
YoungSuccess

Post by YoungSuccess »

Thanks TB,

" if some one takes 10 minutes train to Wimbledon from Kingston/Norbiton/New Malden, then follow tram/bus route, Wilson's can be done as well, though best to relocate."

I've not considered that, but maybe a dummy run is called for!
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

YoungSuccess,

There have been lots of posts on this in the dim and distant past, but I would reiterate what other people have said. Nonsuch and Sutton Grammar perfectly doable from Kingston, though still requiring a reasonably early start. You could get the 7.30 X26 from Kingston and should still get to school on time. The 213 is sooooo much slower through Kingston/New Malden.

Wallington Boys unfortunately is a different matter. Once you're on the X26 its easy but you would have to get the 7.00am bus from Kingston which could mean leaving home 6.45ish depending on how your DS would get to the station. Personally I think that's very early but some do it. My own DS does get that X26 but he's able to pick it up further down the route and it gets him into school before 8.00, but he quite likes that (plays table tennis in the playground.) We looked at the later bus (which is scheduled to arrived at WCGS on time) but it pretty much never runs to schedule - and I actually followed it in my car on a couple of occasions just to make sure :lol: He's also lucky enough to get a lift to school a couple of times a week so we decided that the commute was doable and in his words "It's not that big a deal." Although the first few times he had to get out of bed at .645 were interesting....

Personally I wouldn't touch Wilsons with a barge pole from Kingston, certainly not on the bus anyway. You would end up having to get the early X26 and then changing to a 154 from Carshalton. I'm not aware of anyone who does that though there probably are boys who go by tram from Wimbledon. Lots of changes of transport though and I think that's where the commute gets stressful. All you need is for one of the links to break down and it doesn't make for a happy journey.

Good luck :D
YoungSuccess

Post by YoungSuccess »

2outof3 wrote: and I actually followed it in my car on a couple of occasions just to make sure :lol:
Things that parents get up to for their children! Wouldn't it be better to just hop on the bus yourself?! :lol: Or may be your DS protested, daddy / mummy following him on the bus would have been uncool.

Thank you so much 2outof3 ! Very helpful. I will do a dummy run on X26 after certain results are out and dummy runs are called for. :D I've only tried 213.
CoolParent123

Post by CoolParent123 »

I spoke to couple of parents from Year 7 on Wilson's Parents evening whose DS is commuting from Kingston.
Yes X26 followed by either 154 or 157 is the current option been followed. On one instance they had to take a multiple train route (via Clapham Junction) due to cancellation of Bus.
But one of them is planning to move near the school shortly.
I would say, if you have a younger child, it is worth considering option.
YoungSuccess

Post by YoungSuccess »

CoolParent123 wrote:I spoke to couple of parents from Year 7 on Wilson's Parents evening whose DS is commuting from Kingston.
Yes X26 followed by either 154 or 157 is the current option been followed. On one instance they had to take a multiple train route (via Clapham Junction) due to cancellation of Bus.
But one of them is planning to move near the school shortly.
I would say, if you have a younger child, it is worth considering option.
Thanks for the share. Wow, the two buses combination to Wilsons must take more than one and a half hour?!
Very good school though and worth moving closer to.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now