Westcliff or Southend girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ebonydudu

Westcliff or Southend girls

Post by ebonydudu »

My DD got 357 in the CSSE exams and really proud of her :D :D we are OOC and really hopeful she gets a place.
We are also still waiting for the Chelmsford result and keeping our fingers crossed.

Does anyone know of students going from collier row or Romford to any of these schools or are there bus services available.

I know there is one for chelmsford but I haven't come across any for Southend or westcliff.
Really nervous about the travelling :? .
ToadMum

Re: Westcliff or Southend girls

Post by ToadMum »

SHSG is direct train from Romford to Southend Victoria then bus from the interchange just outside the station - either a no 27 which stops about 5 minutes' walk from the school, or a no1, which stops opposite the school but goes down to the travel centre and almost all the way back up before turning off into Southchurch Road. Or (and lots of girls do this) a short walk to pick up the 1 (or a 4 / ?4a) at a different stop, on its way back from the travel centre.

For WHSG by train it is either Romford - Southend Vic then no 21 or 29 bus via Victoria Avenue (both runs outside the Westcliff schools), or change to c2c at Upminster for Chalkwell (c.20 min walk to WHSG, nice long hill passing our road on the way up from the station but loads do it :) ), or Southend Central (buses as before, but from the travel centre so another 5 minutes on the journey. Getting out at Chalkwell, you are okay on the train arriving at 0802, but you probably need an earlier one to go via Southend Central.

Of course, there may be private minibuses etc to WHSG. DD - year 9 at SHSG - has friends who come from as far away as Barking on the train but I've never heard her mention anyone travelling by minibus.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Just remembered a WHSB parent posting that their DS gets the train to Rayleigh then a bus from Rayleigh station to a stop on Bridgwater Drive, which is 5-10 minutes' walk to WHSB/WHSG. Be aware, though, that although the trains usually keep going in the snow, it has been known for bus drivers to refuse to attempt the fairly steep slopes around Rayleigh station :shock:.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
ICParent

Post by ICParent »

Romford to Chelmsford should be fine, about 10-15min walk to the school from Chelmsford station.

Loads of CCHS girls travel on the train and she'll love it, good luck with the result.
ebonydudu

Post by ebonydudu »

@ToadMum, many thanks for the info, very useful.
ebonydudu

Post by ebonydudu »

ICParent wrote:Romford to Chelmsford should be fine, about 10-15min walk to the school from Chelmsford station.

Loads of CCHS girls travel on the train and she'll love it, good luck with the result.

thanks keeping everything crossed at the moment. :|
Danniburke

Post by Danniburke »

Maymist coaches do school buses to Westcliff & Southend grammar schools (both boys & girls)

I phoned to enquire the other day and they do pick ups from Gants Hill - Barking - Ilford - Chadwell heath - Romford - Gidea Park - Harold wood and few others too. costs £110 per month.

Their contact details are 07941076202 or 07826646098. e mail: info@maymist.com (although probably best to phone)

Hope this helps
ebonydudu

Post by ebonydudu »

Danniburke wrote:Maymist coaches do school buses to Westcliff & Southend grammar schools (both boys & girls)

I phoned to enquire the other day and they do pick ups from Gants Hill - Barking - Ilford - Chadwell heath - Romford - Gidea Park - Harold wood and few others too. costs £110 per month.

Their contact details are 07941076202 or 07826646098. e mail: info@maymist.com (although probably best to phone)

Hope this helps

Hey useful Info, thanks. Is your DD or DS looking to go there too?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now