new grammars?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

guestt

new grammars?

Post by guestt »

Are new grammar schools being built anywhere this time? Is it possible for a large number of parents to approach their LEA and express a wish to have a grammar school in the area?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Guestt

Government policy is not to build new grammars, and that is also the policy of Her Majesty's Opposition, which is truly curious, as the Tory party have always been the "party of the Grammar School".

I doubt that, no matter how many parents wanted to have a new grammar built in their area, it would happen.

That said, Bucks CC have been flagging up the possibility that a new GS will have to be built in the Aylesbury area due to provisional plans for large housing developments. At present it is pie in the sky though.

Sally-Anne
guestt

Post by guestt »

Thanks, Sally-Anne.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Sally-Anne wrote: Government policy is not to build new grammars, and that is also the policy of Her Majesty's Opposition, which is truly curious, as the Tory party have always been the "party of the Grammar School".
Oh no they haven't.

My Grammar was closed by the Tories (both government & county). I think Mrs Thatcher was education secretary at the time - they didn't like the idea of the lower classes getting an appropriate education. Which was why Labour supported grammars!

So it's Labour who have changed their views, not the tories.
Capers
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now